Pune is amongst the most polluted cities in India. Due to growing wealth within the low/middle-income groups, the number of cars, two and three wheelers plying on the roads have increased substantially. Pune traffic has become increasingly unruly and dangerous.
Individuals could easily consider giving up on their 2 wheelers and cars, provided an efficient public transport was available. There may be a need to cut down on the number of rickshaws as well.
This petition is aimed at solving some of these difficulties.
Pune needs an efficient and a safe rapid public transport system in place. We need not look too far for inspiration. Bombay can serve as an example.
We request Civic & State Transport Authorities to implement the following -
1) Allow private public transport system within Pune.
2) Existing PMT buses should not only be increased in numbers but replaced with modern energy efficient vehicles.
3) Further all major parts of Pune should be linked with each other.
4) PMT should function more like a Corporate providing detailed information on bus frequencies, time-tables & ensuring bus-stops of high standards (but not occupying entire width of pavements).
5) To ensure a rapid transport system, create dedicated bus lanes on major roads.
6) Encourage use of Public Transport by introducing competitive fares (including season & annual passes).
7) Discourage use of personal vehicles (2 wheelers and cars) by introducing a road tax collected as a percentage of the amount of petrol used/bought. This way road tax cannot be evaded and will be proportional to amount of use of cars.
8) Restrict rickshaws to periphery of Pune. If there is fear of job losses, rickshaw drivers should be given an opportunity to re-train and become a part of expanding PMT or any private public transport enterprise.
Jai Hind, Jai Maharashtra
The Public Transport in Pune petition to Civic & State Transport Authorities was written by A Joglekar and is in the category Roads & Transport at GoPetition.