- Hammersmith & Fulham Council
- United Kingdom
Residents of the council estates across the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham are appalled to hear of the Council's plans for selling these estates to private property developers for supposed 'regeneration', which would involve widespread demolition.
The consequences for this area of such radical action would be disastrous. Our concern is that residents, many of whom have lived on the estates for many years and have strong links with neighbours, friends and family in the area, would be forcibly relocated and excluded from the benefits of any redevelopment.
This would be an absolute travesty at a time when the importance of community is being so widely acknowledged.
We, the undersigned residents, friends and supporters of council estates across the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, hereby make the following demands of H&F Council:
1. An immediate halt to any current regeneration/development plans and/or actions that may lead to the displacement of existing communities on Hammersmith & Fulham estates.
2. An honest, open-ended and inclusive public consultation about future plans for the estates, giving rise to decisions based on independent and well-evidenced appraisal of each estate in its own right.
3. Provision of legal guarantees to replace any social rented housing that is demolished with at least the same number of social rented properties.
4. Should any of the estate properties need to be vacant in order for works to take place, the original residents should be temporarily rehoused and given a legally guaranteed right to move back in as soon as sufficient works are complete.
The Protect Council Homes in Hammersmith and Fulham petition to Hammersmith & Fulham Council was written by Queen Caroline Action Group and is in the category Local Government at GoPetition.