PETITION AGAINST THE IMPOSING OF EUROPEAN AGRICULTURAL PHILOSOPHIES ON AFRICA
• More than 40 million Africans face food insecurity in 2016 (Famine Early Warning Systems Network). Traditional farming has failed to deliver food security and cannot tackle the new and emerging agricultural challenges in AFRICA.
• Africa needs modern agricultural technologies to achieve food security & sustainable development
• Recent proposal (2015/2277(INI)) by Members of European Parliament for the G8 not to support biotech crops in Africa is unfortunate, regrettable and amounts to neocolonialism. For more information visit : http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=REPORT&mode=XML&reference=A8-2016-0169&language=EN
• The African Union to support technology driven agriculture and reject resolutions No. 22 and No. 23 of the recent ACP-EU Joint parliamentary Assembly that may be presented to the G8 as the voice of Africa .For more information visit http://www.europarl.europa.eu/intcoop/acp/2016_namibia/pdf/102008en.pdf
• EU to review their stand on modern agricultural technology in Africa
• Representatives of the EU member states in Africa to accurately guide EU on the need for Africa to modernize farming practices
• The G8 to reject the proposal from EU Parliament and support Africa in accessing new agricultural technologies that can improve food security and tackle effects of climate change
We, the undersigned therefore call upon the European Union to support African choices and not to impose polices that are evident sanctions against Africa’s development.
We further urge the G8, African Governments, development agencies and the private sector not to endorse and/or implement this report, but to continue with their good will and initiative of helping African countries achieve food security by availing more choices to address the unique challenges that face various parts of Africa.
The PETITION AGAINST THE IMPOSING OF EUROPEAN AGRICULTURAL PHILOSOPHIES ON AFRICA petition to Global was written by Africa Biotechnology Stakeholders Forum and is in the category Science & Technology at GoPetition.