Through the Ohio Jaycees, S.A.F.E. is determined to educate the community on the dangers of distracted driving, to reduce the rate of preventable injuries directly caused by distracted driving, and to give young people the tools to utilize safe practices behind the wheel. As an organization dedicated to the advancement of young professionals we are concerned with the increase of distracted driving practices in drivers between the ages of 18-40. Here are a few statistics:
• 23% of all auto accidents involve cell phone use
• 1.3 million crashes a year are directly linked to distracted driving
• 83% of drivers between the ages of 18-30 text and drive
• 75% of drivers between the ages of 30-39 text and drive
• 1 in 5 drivers admit to surfing the web while driving
• 330,000 individuals are injured a year in distracted driving accidents
We feel these statistics can be greatly improved by advocating for more strict and comprehensive legislation in the state of Ohio defining distracted driving more precisely and making these dangerous driving practices a primary offense.
The Ohio Jaycees S.A.F.E. Program is advocating for the passage of Ohio House Bill 95. This legislation add a $100 fine to drivers who incur moving violations while distracted driving. We feel this is a step in the right direction, but this legislation does not do enough to ensure the safety of Ohio's citizens, Here are our legislative priorities, in regards to H.B. 95.
• H.B. 88 in the previous assembly included making driving distracted a primary offense in addition to the $100 fine. We want to see this put back in the legislation, as making driving distracted a secondary offense does little to prevent accidents and injuries.
• Members of the Ohio Jaycees will target members of the Transportation and Public Safety Committee as well as Representative under the age of 40.
• We want the primary offense piece added to the bill before it comes out of committee and up for a vote.
Please sign this petition to put pressure on the Representatives included in these two groups. Your names will be included in a formal document sent to the Ohio House of Representatives.
The Passage of Ohio House Bill 95 petition to Ohio House of Representatives was written by Ohio Jaycees S.A.F.E. (Stay Alert For Everyone) and is in the category Roads & Transport at GoPetition.