- Canadian Rocky Mountain Ski Resorts; all members of the Canada West Ski Area Association
* Non-toxic ski waxes are available commercially and offer an alternative to
waxes made with petroleum products that are non-renewable and
* Paraffin, commonly used in ski waxes, contains and/or off-gasses chemicals
such as benzene and toluene, which are recognized human carcinogens.
* PFCs and PFOA, synthetic chemicals used to make ski wax, do not break down
in the natural environment and bioaccumulate in food chains.
* The May 2007 issue of Environmental Health Perspectives notes that prenatal
exposure to PFOA in humans can affect babies' body weight and size. 3M, a
major industrial user of PFOA, is phasing out its use.
* Visit the Environmental Working Group website for more information on the
health risks of PFCs and PFOA www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld
We, the undersigned, call on all ski areas in the Canadian Rocky Mountains to use
only natural-ingredient, non-toxic ski waxes in their shops.
The Only Non-Toxic Ski Wax in our Mountains petition to Canadian Rocky Mountain Ski Resorts; all members of the Canada West Ski Area Association was written by UTSB-Research and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.