Objection to the proposed development of the former Western Suburbs Hospital land
- General Manager, Mr Michael McMahon - Burwood Council
In 1997 the State Government stopped rebuilding Western Suburbs Hospital. The land sat vacant until 2002 when NSW Health entered into a Public Private Sector Partnership. The partnership was with Catholic Healthcare (CHC).
The partnership built a small scale community health centre not a hospital and a nursing home. Finally the partnership was dissolved and the land sold to CHC. Who now run the nursing home. The final stage of development is to build an Assisted Living development of 123 dwellings.
This is a great idea as this style of aged accommodation is needed in the area. The only thing the residents object to is that the residences are to be in 3 six storey towers. This petition is to get the height of the towers reduced to building more in keeping with the local area.
This Petition of residents of the Burwood local government area and other concerned citizens of New South Wales state that we object to the proposed development of the former Western Suburbs Hospital land (being Lot 4 in Deposited Plan 1073577) [the Site] as proposed in Development Application 65/2011 because of the following:
* The proposed development is a significant and unacceptable deviation from the concept for development of the land described in DA 279/2002 and as approved by Burwood Council.
* The proposed development is of a radically different and larger scale than surrounding residential development or of any existing development in the suburb of Croydon.
* The proposed development fails to respect the heritage context of the area and the suburb of Croydon generally.
* The proposed development fails to respect the low density residential nature of the area and the suburb of Croydon generally.
* The size of the proposed development in terms of height, bulk and building density is excessive and will seriously and severely affect the amenity (including visual amenity) of residential properties around the Site for a considerable distance away from the Site.
* The proposed development represents poor site planning and design and fails to provide both good functional benefits and visual benefits to the community.
* The increase in vehicular traffic associated with the proposed development is unacceptable to the residents of the residential streets surrounding the Site and other residents of Croydon.
We, the Petitioners listed below, call upon Burwood Council to refuse Development Application 65/2011.
The Objection to the proposed development of the former Western Suburbs Hospital land petition to General Manager, Mr Michael McMahon - Burwood Council was written by Kenneth Buckley and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.