- To the Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales.
The Petition of the citizens of New South Wales brings to the attention of the House the crippling drought across the state. Fodder is in short supply and water resources are dry, or drying up. Farmers are being forced to buy fodder from interstate to keep livestock alive and are paying high freight costs to bring it to their farm. The freight is considerably more than the fodder. These farmers are the food bowl of our state and many have been farming for generations. While nothing can be done about the weather, there are opportunities to help.
The undersigned petitioners therefore ask the Legislative Assembly to implement the following points for farmers as a matter of urgency:
1. A complete subsidy for the cost of freight on fodder sourced in NSW and interstate
2. A 50% subsidy on the cost of livestock feed sourced in NSW and interstate
3. Allow NSW Fire and Rescue and the NSW Rural Fire Service to cart water to farms for livestock and cropping purposes - and pay the fuel costs
4. A 50% farm household water subsidy to fill domestic tanks
5. Expand the Farm Innovation Fund criteria to offer collection and storage of livestock genetics
6. Low-interest restocking/replanting loans for livestock and crops farmers 7. Suspend farmers’ Local Land Service fees for the duration of the drought
The NSW drought petition petition to To the Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales. was written by Clayton Whipp and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.