- Residents of Rogerstone, Newport, Wales
Tesco have put in a planning application to knock down the old Promotive garage opposite the Bethesda Church.
If the planning goes through they will have a 10 car park space, Tesco Express with a big neon light shining into the church and surrounding properties.
We have many concerns particularly with public safety - the site is in a dangerous position - and the level of disturbance that a supermarket will cause to local residents.
If this application is successful, there would also be added issues of the store selling alcohol and the associated problems that this would bring.
We already have a number of local stores within a close proximity, Sommerfield, Co-op, Morrisons, local stores in the village and even a 24 hour Tesco only a ten minute drive away.
We the undersigned object to Planning Application submitted to Newport City Council - Number 080163 – Plans for a Tesco Express Store at 108 Cefn Road, Rogerstone on the following grounds:
1. Public Safety. The site is situated very close to a small roundabout which already has little impact on slowing down traffic. There is not enough car parking available. Customers traveling by car would park at the opening from Cefn Road and Great Oaks Park making it dangerous when pulling out onto the main road for traffic and pedestrians.
2. The increased volume of traffic would raise noise and pollution levels in a residential area.
3. The Store would be detrimental to the immediate and surrounding residential area.
4. Disturbance to residents caused by noise from delivery vehicles; these would arrive at the site before the opening hours. In addition noise from traffic pulling in at all hours to use the cash machines. Furthermore, the constant noise of the cooling systems would be a continuous nuisance. Lights from the store would also cause disturbance to local residents.
5. There is no desire or need from the local community to have another convenience store.
The No to Tesco at 108 Cefn Road, Rogerstone petition to Residents of Rogerstone, Newport, Wales was written by Jayne Bryant and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.