No Airport Expansion
- United States of America
---UPDATE----June 13th, 4PM
Thank You all for signing our "Online Petition". Hopefully this petition and the physical petition being circulated will make a difference to our Council People in The City of Long Beach.
The EIR Appeals Hearing is about to start in City Hall Chambers any moment. We have realized the EIR may not be passed or even dealt with tonite or next week. Each week will decide. The Council is not bound by law to make any of several possible decisions tonight.
So we will keep gathering signatures until we feel there will be a final decision before this document is presented to council.
Thank You, LBHUSH2
May 20, 2006
No Airport Expansion
The Final Airport Expansion EIR, released on April 24, 2006, continues to demonstrate a total disregard for the legitimate and overwhelming concerns of airport impacted neighborhoods.
The document is fatally flawed in its failure to acknowledge growth inducing risk, scope, environmental impact assessments, identification of significant impacts, and unenforceable mitigation recommendations. Based on the EIR flaws outlined below, I vigorously oppose the findings as a myopic representation of the environmental impacts of expanding the Long Beach Airport Terminal and demand that the Long Beach City Council overrule the Planning Commission and not certify this EIR.
Significant EIR flaws:
1. The scope of the EIR is limited to only the current level of flights sanctioned by the current Airport Noise Compatibility Ordinance, not the higher flight levels an expanded terminal would permit.
2. The EIR evaluates the impacts of increasing gates to 11 and parking positions to 14, but does not address the environmental benefits of a reduced number of gates and parking positions.
3. The EIR does not address impacts and mitigation plans for the construction and operation of a third on-airport parking structure.
4. The Airport Advisory Commission and City Council directed that the EIR scope include a "prospective" Human Health Risk Assessment, but this study was not conducted.
5. Twenty year old Long Beach Airport meteorological data are unacceptable for air dispersion modeling.
6. The environmental impacts of relocation and ongoing operation of general aviation hangars and parking by developing Parcel O is not addressed by the EIR.
7. The EIR identifies but fails to fully address cumulative impacts of airport expansion along with other planned projects from adjacent developments, including port and 710 expansions.
8. The EIR fails to address increased safety and risk exposures to the airport and adjacent neighborhoods in the event of an aircraft accident or terrorism.
For more information please review the information at
We, the undersigned, vigorously oppose the findings of the Final Long Beach Airport Expansion EIR, released on April 24, 2006, as a myopic representation of the environmental impacts of expanding the airport terminal and demand that the Long Beach City Council overrule the Planning Commission and not certify this EIR.
You can further help this campaign by sponsoring it
The No Airport Expansion petition to LBHUSH2 was written by LBHUSH2 and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.