The move to bi-weekly garbage pickup
Our town council (except Flowers and McFadden) voted March 4, 2019 against going to biweekly pick up for our garbage once again. First I want you to really understand the costs, for both now and in the future. Secondly, I want to advise you of remedies and alternatives. Finally, I’d ask that you sign this petition to our mayor and town council asking them to make this change as soon as possible.
Council speaks of a monthly savings per household of $1.70. However, they fail to mention an additional cost going forward for non-sorted waste at the landfill. This will be $3 – 4 per month per household starting in 2020. DO THE MATH: $1.70 per month times 12 months is $20.40 per household. Cochrane is almost at 10,000 households so the total here is $204,000. In 2020 this will go to over $600,000. If this money is not being spent here, just think of what could be done with those funds: New playgrounds, facilities for seniors, dog parks, town events, . . . . This cost is almost as much as this year’s tax increase which had many complaints. Why are you content to accept this?
• If you are a family with kids in diapers, you were going to get a free bin while you need it.
• If you have medical needs that requires more garbage use, you were going to get a free bin.
• If you were a large family with financial challenges, you were going to get a free bin.
• If you really needed to throw out more, you could get an extra bin and pay the extra fee. A user pay solution. Or if only occasional extras, you can purchase a bag that is 75% the size of a black bin. Or check with your neighbours and see if they have some space.
• A trail large item pickup service was going to be added.
• Based on audits, 50%+ of households are already sorting well enough to go to black bin every two weeks.
• Additional information on sorting of household waste is available at the Eco Centre website. https://www.cochrane.ca/250/Eco-Centre
We, the undersigned, call on the Town Council for the Town of Cochrane, Alberta, to move weekly waste pickup (black bins) to bi-weekly waste pick up as soon as possible but no later than January 1, 2020.
The Move to bi-weekly waste pickup petition to Town of Cochrane, Town Council was written by Bobbi Ott and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.