Since Microsoft decided to not continue feature development for Windows Phone 10 operating system and do not provide future hardware for Windows Phone 10 we are asking them to create an open source feature branch that will allow community to continue feature development with their own hands.
We are asking Microsoft to:
1. Create an open source feature branch for Windows Phone 10 development.
2. Create a 'Community' windows insider ring in addition to Fast, Slow and Release Preview rings that will consume updates from the community feature branch.
3. Allocate a small team of engineers who will be responsible for commits review (security, quality), support of rollout pipeline.
4. Create unscheduled releases for security fixes when this is appropriate from the Microsoft standpoint.
1. Create and prioritize the required features.
2. Create pull requests that will be reviewed by Microsoft engineering team before merging in branch.
3. Provide support, documentation, debugging. Community also will be responsible for keeping the roadmap for releases, emergency bugfixes etc.
1. Agree that Microsoft is not responsible for all new features created by community.
This is a 'draft' which can be improved if Microsoft will be interested in this idea.
The Make Windows Phone 10 Feature Development open source petition to Microsoft was written by Aleh Karasik and is in the category Science & Technology at GoPetition.