- Oxfordshire County Council
- United Kingdom
THE CAMPAIGN TO STOP THE CHAOS, AND SAY ‘YES’ TO CPZ CONTINUES...
Do we have a parking problem? Some of the residents certainly think so! There is nowhere left to park, especially during term-time, cars are parked so far up the pavement there is no space for pedestrians, and junctions are dangerous for cyclists and people wanting to cross the street, particularly with small children.
After a successful campaign last year by local Residents Associations, the County Council agreed to install a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the Divinity Road, Magdalen Road, and Iffley Fields area at the same time to make the streets in East Oxford safer and less congested.
NEW CONSULTATION – ROUND 4?
The County Council has now gone through several rounds of consultations, and detailed consultations with both Residents Associations and local traders. The County Council has listened and each new proposal has included amendments that have improved the scheme.
The County Council have now agreed to remove the Iffley Fields area from the proposed CPZ – so there has to be another round of consultation. The proposal is now that CPZs are introduced to the Magdalen Road and Divinity Road area at the same time (end of 2010).
The County Council has distributed new consultation packs. The deadline for responses is 18th December and the final decision will be made at The Transport Decisions Committee in early 2010.
HOW WILL THE CPZ BENEFIT YOU?
We want East Oxford to continue to support a diverse and vibrant community, with local shops and businesses and universities. We want residents, their visitors, local businesses, shoppers and trades people to be able park. We want to be able to use our pavements and our roads safely, and to encourage cycling and a general reduction in car use (for the environment and to reduce congestion). The CPZ can help to achieve this vision.
The traffic and parking situation in East Oxford is worse than ever with an increase in illegal parking at corners leading to dangerous parking, congestion and several accidents recently. We want to support the CPZ in this area for safety, fairness and less street congestion.
• No corner parking
• Better access for emergency vehicles
• Double yellow lines at passing places
• Marked lines on pavement leaving room for buggies & wheelchairs)
• Local residents only
• No ‘park and ride’ commuters
• Free permits for visitors
• Enforced by wardens (paid out of fees)
• Adequate parking for shoppers in Magdalen Road (new 2 hr only parking bays)
The most recent proposal includes amendments specifically to address the concerns of local traders, with more ‘2 hour only parking bays’ on Magdalen Road, and more shared spaces. Some local traders are still against the CPZ even though they don’t live in the area.
The CPZ in Divinity Road area is well supported and will go ahead. If the Magdalen Road area is excluded, the situation in our area will get worse as more cars are parked on our streets.
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!
The proposed CPZ aims to balance the needs of residents’ (own cars and visitors) with those of shoppers and businesses. It offers a better solution than the chaos we have now. So support the campaign to say ‘yes’ to make our streets safer to walk, cross, park, drive and cycle.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP:
1. Please reply to the County Council questionnaire by post or online at:
All you need to do is register online (using an email address and password). You will only be able to reply once, but you can leave the questionnaire if you are unsure of anything, and come back to it later.
2. Please display the poster / leaflet to ‘Say YES to CPZ’ in the front window of your house or in your car to show your support!
3. Sign the petition online here or in local shops the CPZ
You can also:
1. Email the Transport Cabinet Member firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Talk to your neighbours and make sure they are aware of the issues and what is at risk.
3. Add comments or any photos that show the problems we are living with to our blog http://eastoxfordsafestreets.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/the-campaign-has-to-go-on/
4. Join our Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=10913483857
We, the undersigned, call on the Oxfordshire County Council to urgently implement a Controlled Parking Zone in the Magdalen Area for safety, fairness and less street congestion.
The Magdalen Area Parking and Road Safety Petition petition to Oxfordshire County Council was written by EastOxfordSafeStreets and is in the category Local Government at GoPetition.