Keep State Lands Open to Offroad Vehicle Recreation
- Harry Phillips
- Arizona State and Local Government Officials
- United States of America
The State of Arizona has had a successful and effective off-highway vehicle (OHV) program since the early 1990s. The mission of the Arizona State Parks' Off-Highway Vehicle Program has been to develop and enhance statewide off-highway vehicle recreation opportunities. However, recent state and local legislation, as well as pending decisions by the State Land Department, now threaten our future enjoyment of offroad vehicle recreation. See news here.
According to a study published in 2003 by the Arizona State Parks Board:
• 21% of Arizonans, or 1.1 million people, consider themselves OHV enthusiasts.
• The average OHV household in Arizona spends 25.4 days per year participating in OHV recreational activities, which equates to 13,983,356 OHV Recreation Days annually.
• 72% of OHV users are satisfied with their overall OHV recreation experience.
This report also states that offroad vehicle recreation creates a statewide economic impact of $4.25 billion, including:
• $3.1 billion to local economies through OHV-related retail sales
• $187 million to annual state tax revenues
• $1.1 billion in household income (salaries/wages) for AZ residents
• 36,951 full-time and part-time jobs in Arizona
Since the study's publication in 2003, population growth in Arizona and the continued popularity of offroad vehicle recreation has contributed to even greater statewide economic impact.
Please go to www.arizonaoffroaders.org to sign a copy of this petition. Thanks!
The Keep State Lands Open to Offroad Vehicle Recreation petition to Arizona State and Local Government Officials was written by Harry Phillips and is in the category Miscellaneous at GoPetition.