- The Canadian Federal Parliament
Petition of the Federal Parliament to investigate Kenya’s illegal detention and rendition of the Canadian Citizen Mr. Bashir Makhtal to Ethiopia via the Ethiopian backed Somali Transitional Federal Government (TFG).
Mr. Bashir Makhtal is a Canadian citizen who was detained by Kenyan officials while crossing the Kenya Somali border on December 31st, 2006. For more than two weeks he was interrogated by Kenyan officials without the presence of a lawyer or Canadian consular officials. According to newspaper reports Canadian consular officials were granted access to Mr. Makhtal on Monday January 15th, 2007. The Ogaden Somali Association of Ontario, OSCAO, wrote to both the Canadian high commission in Nairobi as well as the minister of foreign affairs honourable Peter Mackay on the 16th of January, 2007 complaining about the continued, illegal detention of Mr. Makhtal and the possibility of him being rendered to Ethiopia via the Ethiopian backed TFG.
Kenya, without informing Canadian consular officials, rendered Mr. Bashir Makhtal to Ethiopia via the TFG on Saturday January 21st, 2007 early in the morning. Up to the present time, no one knows about the safety and whereabouts of the rendered Canadian.
The Ogaden Human Rights Committee, OHRC, supporters and concerned Canadians are petitioning the Federal Government and Federal Parliament:
1. Ask Kenya to account for its illegal actions against the Canadian citizen Mr. Bashir Makhtal.
2. Request Ethiopia to guarantee the safety of the rendered Canadian under its custody through the TFG.
3. Dispense all efforts to bring home the rendered Canadian Mr. Bashir Makhtal.
4. And take concrete measures to protect Canadians travelling abroad.
The JUSTICE FOR BASHIR MAKHTAL petition to The Canadian Federal Parliament was written by Shahrazad and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.