#Civil Rights
Hong Kong SAR Government
Hong Kong

Hong Kong permanent residents living abroad currently have no voting rights. This situation is becoming somewhat unusual in an international context.

Currently, there are more than 100 countries and territories – including nearly all developed nations – that have systems in place to allow their citizens abroad to vote. And the number is growing. Some of the countries that allow their citizens abroad to vote include Italy, France, Australia, New Zealand, the US, Britain, the Philippines, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Singapore.

Most Hong Kong permanent residents living abroad still have strong family and emotional links to Hong Kong, care about Hong Kong’s future and continue making contributions to Hong Kong in one way or another. They should therefore be provided with an avenue to have a say through their votes.

As Hong Kong is moving towards full democracy, it is time for the Hong Kong SAR Government to change its policy of only allowing Hong Kong permanent residents who ordinarily reside in Hong Kong to sign up as electors.

Please join me and take a stand.

We, the undersigned, call on the Hong Kong SAR Government:

(i) to allow Hong Kong permanent residents living abroad to register as overseas electors; and

(ii) to put in place a system for them to cast their votes, at either overseas polling stations or local polling stations, during the future Legislative Council and Chief Executive direct elections.

GoPetition respects your privacy.

The Give Voting Rights to Hong Kong Permanent Residents Living Abroad petition to Hong Kong SAR Government was written by Bronze Cheung and is in the category Civil Rights at GoPetition.