- Free all imprisoned labour activists in Iran
Labour activists in Iran are being constantly harassed, sacked and arrested by the Iranian government authorities.
Labour activists in Iran are being constantly harassed, sacked and arrested by the Iranian government authorities. The latest and most known examples are as follows
· Reza Shahabi, treasurer and a board member of the Syndicate of bus workers of Tehran and suburb, has been in custody in the notorious Evin prison for more than 18 months. He was arrested on 12 June 2010 without a charge. After almost a year on 25 May 2011 he was tried in a court in Tehran on charges of “propaganda against the Islamic State” and “conspiracy against National Security”. Shahabi is still being held in Evin prison in a state of uncertainty. According to the latest news, his health has deteriorated significantly. There is a growing fear that Reza might become paralyzed as a result of his worsening health conditions. Reza has been on hunger strike since November 22, 2011 in protest against his unjust detention.
· Mr. Ebrahim Madadi, the Vice-President of Tehran bus workers' Syndicate, has been imprisoned for the past three years. He was released on November 30th, 2011 but unjustifiably rearrested on December 7, 2011. Mr. Madadi suffers from severe eye debility and diabetes.
· Mr. Behnam Ebrahimzadeh, member of The Committee to Pursue the Establishment of Workers’ Organizations, and a Children's Rights advocate, has received five years prison term, by a "Court of Appeals." Mr. Ebrahimzadeh has been incarcerated in Evin prison for about 18 months now, based on false accusations. He has been under immense psychological and physical pressures.
· On November 12, Mr. Ali Nejati was transferred to Dezful's Fajr prison, based on trumped up charges. Mr. Nejati, a board member of the Haft Tapeh Sugar Cane Workers' Syndicate, had already spent six months in jail based on the same bogus charges. While imprisoned, new charges were brought up against him, and although he was cleared of all charges in the preliminary court proceedings, subsequently he was sentenced to spend another year in prison. Mr. Nejati has been sent to jail while he's suffering from severe heart ailment, recently had a heart operation. Due to his condition he has to follow a certain daily diet, accompanied by medications, plus monthly check up by his physician.
There are hundreds of other workers who have been persecuted, sacked and imprisoned by the government authorities. I condemn the continuous gross attacks on workers’ rights in Iran. I demand the immediate and unconditional freedom of all jailed labour activists and call on the Islamic Republic of Iran to respect the right of workers to organize, assemble and freedom of association and expression.
Send Copy of your Protest Letters to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; avaei@Dadgostary-tehran.ir;
The Free all imprisoned labour activists in Iran petition to Free all imprisoned labour activists in Iran was written by Saeed and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.