It is now clear that the world has less than 12 years to switch away from fossil fuels to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. Reducing energy use and switching to clean energy will also increase energy security, improve air quality, minimise fuel poverty, boost the local economy and provide jobs and training.
It is proposed that Farnham Town Council declares a climate emergency and commits to going carbon neutral by 2030. This will help to raise the profile of this vital issue and secure external support and funding. It is also proposed that Farnham Town Council also signs up to the Covenant of Mayors to track our progress and link with towns around the world who are cutting emissions.
We, the undersigned, call on Farnham Town Council:
1. To declare a "Climate Emergency".
2. Pledge to make Farnham carbon neutral by 2030.
3. Call on Westminster to provide the powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible.
4. Sign up to the Covenant of Mayors.
5. Develop a detailed plan of action and report back in six months with an update on the actions being taken to address this emergency.
The Farnham Climate Emergency Declaration petition to Farnham Town Council was written by Robert Simpson and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.