- North America
1) Cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide. Every year, this serial killer is responsible for 7.4 million deaths worldwide; 72,000 of them in Canada alone!
It is time we admitted, we are ignominiously losing the war on cancer. Thus, it is imperative that we open our eyes to the possibility that the cure lies, not in only in research, but also, and perhaps primarily, in prevention.
Vegetarians have up to 40% fewer incidence of cancer than their meat consuming counterparts
2) Up to 50% of Canadians have weight problem
According to the MSNBC being thin now puts you into a minority in the U.S. where a staggering 68 percent of the population is overweight and 34% are obese!
Obesity levels among vegetarians is only 1/4 that of non-vegetarians;
3) Our fragile planet is on the verge of extinction.
Livestock production is responsible for more climate change gasses than all the motor vehicles in the world.” These these “gasses” are the major causes of global warming.
4) 75% of the precious Amazonian rain forest is now used as grazing land for the millions of cattle used as cheap hamburger meat for the wealthy nations.
(Our lifetime friendship with Ronald McDonald's is not only making us fat, but is killing everything else on the planet!)
5) Three billion people don't have adequate supply of fresh water; millions die of dehydration.
Water required to produce 1 pound of beef is 19,761 liters, on the other hand water required to produce 1 pound of potatoes = 87 liters
6) Finally, what the animals must endure in our modern-day slaughterhouses is so despicable that Paul McCartney said "if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian".
Vegetarians are no longer a group of people with some strange habits and extravagant ideas far removed from the reality of daily life. More and more people are choosing this path because of their compassion and awareness of how important their choices in life are.
The question no longer is why I am a vegetarian....
The question is:
Why aren't you?
Support this movement!
Sign the petition!
Stop eating dead body parts!
Stop eating animal suffering!
Stop killing yourself in the process!
Become a Vegetarian.
The Eating Ourselves to Death: A Vegetarian Manifesto petition to North America was written by Peter Mendrela and is in the category Animal Welfare at GoPetition.