- Mayor John Dooley & The City Council of Nelson BC
Occupy Nelson started as a community response to the call for world wide action in solidarity with thousands of Occupy camps around the world to demand the end of global economic injustice.
As corporations record massive profits, more and more of us are in debt, living pay check to paycheck, are unemployed or underemployed, living in shelters or on the street. At the same time governments are gutting social services and refusing to protect the environment. We are in unity with the growing consensus that the top 1% of the world should not control and dominate the remaining 99%! We are all the 99%!
Recently, as there has been pressure to close down the encampments all over Canada, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association has sent out a press release stating that "Freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and association are core democratic rights that are protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Without robust protection for these rights, many other rights become meaningless."
We believe we must allow the movement and the camp to continue in order defend the rights of all Canadians.
We, the undersigned, call on Mayor John Dooley, City Council, the Nelson City Police & the R.C.M.P. to uphold the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and association are core democratic rights. If these rights are not protected than many other rights are at risk of becoming meaningless.
I support the Nelson Occupy movement and encampments rights and ask that you do the same.
The Do You Support The Nelson BC Occupy Camp & Movement? petition to Mayor John Dooley & The City Council of Nelson BC was written by Occupy Nelson and is in the category Civil Rights at GoPetition.