- Mayor Ricardo Borces;Gov. Damian Mercado;Congressman Roger Mercado; Philippine Congress; DepEd Phils
The Municipality of Padre Burgos is the only town in the entire Province of Southern Leyte, Philippines that has NO PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL.
Since its creation as a municipality in 1957, its leaders who come from one family, a political dynasty, have not established a public high school because they manage Saint James College, a private institution.
Parents who cannot afford the high cost of the private school send their children to public high schools in neighboring municipalities.
These children take the jeepneys and multicabs (the local transportation). In order to save on fare, they stay on the top of the jeepney or hang on at the rear, under the heat of the sun or the chill of the rain - just to get to school.
The absence of a public high school is the main cause why the municipality has soaring high school drop-out rate of over 30% and a low functional literacy rate of 70%.
The local government has ignored this fundamental need of our children for decades. Our children have been deprived access to free quality public secondary education long enough.
It's time the people take action!
We call our Mayor Ricardo Borces:
• to take steps towards the creation/establishment of a free secondary education;
• to include in the 2012 Budget the P500,000 that the Sangguniang Bayan proposed as sinking fund for the public high school project;
We call Governor Damian Mercado –
• to provide funds for the acquisition of a school site and building of classrooms;
We call Congressman Roger Mercado –
• to sponsor a bill in the Congress creating a Public National High School in Padre Burgos;
• to allocate funds from the pork barrel for the public high school project;
• to generate funds from other sources for the same project.
The Create a Public High School In Padre Burgos petition to Mayor Ricardo Borces;Gov. Damian Mercado;Congressman Roger Mercado; Philippine Congress; DepEd Phils was written by Marites Aclao and is in the category Education at GoPetition.