- United States of America
With disapproval rates soaring for congress, the budget issues, unemployment, and mainly an overall frustration with our political system in general, a new bill should be created to address these issues.
This bill is short, sweet and to the point. While it may not pass, it will send a message to congress as a whole that the American people are tired of being misled.
_*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*_
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
The Congressional Reform Bill petition to Congress was written by Brett Thomas and is in the category Government at GoPetition.