Community Against the development of the 1600 Block of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Suwanee, GA
- Gwinnett County Department of Planning and Development
- United States of America
In the fall of 2018, after several months of negotiations between the residents and the developer, we came to an agreement about development at 1630 Peachtree Industrial Blvd, across from River Run. This included rezoning with the following conditions: (RZM2018-00003)
1a) To restrict the use of the property to retirement community, independent living
1b) All occupied units shall be occupied by at least one person who is 55 years old or older. No occupants under 18 years old shall be allowed. No more than 2 occupants per bedroom shall be allowed.
Now, two years later, the developer is trying to ignore that agreement and have those conditions removed. (CIC2020-00023) Here are the concerns:
1) Apartments are not consistent with the surrounding single family homes and there are no independent living retirement communities in the area.
2) Additional traffic on Peachtree Industrial Blvd from 200+ residents includes turning onto and off PIB. Any development at that location should pay all costs for a traffic light - including the current zoning
3) Additional families adding children to the already overcrowded schools
4) Not enough parking for 200 apartments (only 300 parking spots planned)
5) Too many apartments already exist or are being built in the immediate area
6) Lower property values due to apartments next to single family homes
7) Increased crime from the apartments
The current agreement was worked out over several months. This rezoning request ignores the time and effort spent to work out that agreement.
For more information: https://www.facebook.com/groups/354713301718749
We, the undersigned call on the Gwinnett County Department of Planning and Development to reject the rezoning request CIC2020-00023, which would allow regular apartments instead of the independent living retirement community. The current zoning for an independent living retirement community is an agreement between the residents and the developer and addresses all of the concerns. This agreement should not be changed.
The Community Against the development of the 1600 Block of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Suwanee, GA petition to Gwinnett County Department of Planning and Development was written by Kevin Ober and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition.