- Ashby de la Zouch Town Council
- United Kingdom
The IPCC’s Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C, published in October 2018, describes the enormous harm that a 2°C rise is likely to cause compared with a 1.5°C rise, and confirms that limiting Global Warming to 1.5°C may still be possible with ambitious action from national and sub-national authorities and others. We welcome action by Frome Town Council, Machynlleth Town Council and other town councils around the world declaring and committing resources to tackling the Climate Emergency and becoming carbon neutral by 2030.
We petition Ashby de la Zouch Town Council to resolve to:
1. Declare a ‘Climate Emergency’;
2. Pledge to make Ashby de la Zouch carbon neutral by 2030, taking into account both production and consumption emissions (scope 1, 2 and 3)
3. Work with other governments (both within Leicestershire, the UK and internationally) to determine and implement best practice methods to achieve net zero emissions;
4. Call on Westminster to provide the powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible;
5. Continue to work with partners across the borough to deliver this new goal through all relevant strategies and plans, ensuring that carbon emissions reductions are embedded in all Council decision making;
6. Report to the Full Council within 6 months with the actions the Council will take to address this emergency, including plans and milestones to tackle emissions reductions within the Council’s current control and plans to lobby other institutions to achieve reductions outside Ashby Town's direct control.
7. Hold a citizen's assembly to generate ideas and bring the community with you.
8. To divest from fossil fuels.
The Climate Emergency Declaration for Ashby de la Zouch Town Council petition to Ashby de la Zouch Town Council was written by Ismay Mummery and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.