Campaign against proposed stadium and commercial development at Harlington, Bedfordshire
- CaSH Harlington
The Campaign for Sustainable Harlington (CaSH) is an action group made up of Harlington residents to oppose proposals to build a new 25,000 seat stadium for Luton Town Football Club and a substantial 200 acre commercial distribution development - one and quarter times the size of Harlington itself.
Things you should know:
· This is a commercial bid for precious greenbelt land, dressed up as a new home for the local football team with unnecessary and unwanted ‘community’ facilities.
· This development is larger than Harlington itself; it and its activities will swamp the village.
· Football and other stadium traffic might avoid the motorway and public transport and come through Harlington.
· Football fans won’t pay parking prices at the stadium; they will park in your road. Futhermore, only 1,250 parking places are planned for a 25,000 seat stadium.
· An estimated 3,000 lorries a day could drive in and out of the warehousing development 24/7.
· Lorries will cut through the village especially when traffic problems occur on the M1
· On match days or concert days, you will have to queue to get into and out of your village.
· The value of your property will go down and you will find it difficult to sell should you wish to move.
· You will be able to hear football crowds and concert crowds - weekends and week days.
· You will see an increase in anti-social behaviour in the village.
· You will be able to see the 100 ft hotel tower from many points in the village, including from your homes.
· 98% of Harlington residents have said they will not use the community facilities on offer
· Only 12% of the UK is now greenbelt. It is increasingly being lost to developers for commercial gain.
· LTFC struggle to get 7,000 fans to a match. If the stadium at J12 goes ahead, it needs to attract 25,000. The club is losing over £2m a year; it’s been relegated and is being investigated by the FA.
To: South Bedfordshire District Council
I hereby oppose proposals to destroy the green belt around Harlington by building a football stadium and huge commercial development bigger than the village of Harlington itself on land adjacent to Junction 12 of the M1.
I furthermore call upon Luton Town Football Club and the Council to find a suitable urban site for a new stadium within the boundaries of Luton.
The Campaign against proposed stadium and commercial development at Harlington, Bedfordshire petition to South Bedfordshire District Council was written by CaSH Harlington and is in the category Environment at GoPetition.