The Town of Victoria Park has released a business plan for public comment proposing to sell the land where currently Leisurelife Centre; the Library; the bowling club; various arts, childcare and community centres; and MacMillan Park are situated.
It is proposed to sell the 57,000sqm of land to LandCorp (retaining only 2700sqm for an uncertain purpose) for just over $12m. This is about $250 per sqm.
There is no commitment to retain any of the community buildings and the open space will be drastically reduced with only a small town square being maintained.
The proposal was open to public consultation over the holiday period; however, the Council has extended the closing date for submissions to 27 February 2015.
To read the Business Plan proposal document click on the website link above.
If you are a resident or owner of property in the Town of Victoria Park then you can make a submission to Council. If you agree with the position being put forward below then sign the petition and a submission will be lodged.
SUBMISSION FOR BUSINESS PLAN TOWN CENTRE REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT:
- I oppose the proposal in the business plan
- I ask the Town to retain a multi-sports facility in the area
- I ask the Town to retain a substantial portion of MacMillan park
- The purchase price does not reflect the real value of the land
- I would like to see the Town develop a masterplan for the site (and release it)
- I would like the plan to include residences, community facilities and park-land
- I would like proper consultation on the masterplan before it is implemented
- The Town should be re-zoning and lifting caveats to increase value before selling
- The Town needs to consult more broadly on community needs and perceptions
- The Town should investigate all options thoroughly before making a decision.
The Business Plan for Sale of Town of Vic Park Land petition to The Town of Victoria Park was written by Alana Dowley and is in the category Local Government at GoPetition.