The City Proposes an Elevated West LRT Line
A rail line (with an elevated station and elevated switching yard) will commence at Shaw Millennium Park, travel 30 feet above the ground through the community of Sunalta, over the Scarboro elementary school playground and will rise to 70 feet above the south side of the Crowchild/Bow Trail interchange. The line will cross over to the north side of Bow Trail and return to grade at 24th Street.
What's wrong with the proposal?
• There has been no community consultation.
• The City is ignoring it's own policies on creating sustainable developments.
• The City is eliminating the evaluation of the economic, social and environmental impacts (triple bottom-line evaluation) to fast track the construction under a self imposed timeline.
• Elevated lines are contrary to successful urban planning practices.
• Many cities around the world are replacing overhead trains with underground lines to create community friendly neighbourhoods.
Elevated transit is contrary to City approved policies, practices in other cities and a long term vision for Calgary. We are strongly in favor of West LRT, and want a solution within an acceptable budgetary range.
For more information visit: www.bestwestlrt.com
CITIZEN PETITION TO CALGARY CITY COUNCIL
We, the undersigned, are residents of the City of Calgary.
• The planning and building of the West leg of Light Rail Transit (LRT).
• Full and genuine consultations by the City with Communities and Residents along any proposed LRT route PRIOR to City Council making the decision to build the line.
• Public Hearings to help the City decide where and how the West Leg LRT is to built.
• Social and Economic Impact Assessments as part of the decision-making process.
WE DO NOT SUPPORT:
• Planning and Financial decisions made without citizen involvement.
• Aerial LRT railbeds through residential neighbourhoods.
The Best West LRT petition to City of Calgary was written by Best West LRT and is in the category Roads & Transport at GoPetition.