- Canadian Government, Border Control
Presently there is very little Canadian law regulating the MASS IMPORTATION of thousands of PUPPIES into Canada. The Trucks carrying hundreds at a time are arriving daily.
All that is required for documentation is any veterinarian certificate from the source country stating that the dogs have been vaccinated for rabies (if they are over one year old) and that they have been pre-approved for importation by application from their source - There is needs to be a greater GOVERNING AUTHORITY from CANADA verifying this information provided is "true".
PJ PETS, in Ontario and PET HABITAT in BC, along with many other pet stores across the country are purchasing puppies in wholesale quantities at wholesale prices through a major US brokerage firm called the HUNTE CORPORATION based in MISSOURI USA. This information is clearly stated on the puppy certificates.
The HUNTE CORPORATION "processes" and delivers hundreds of thousands of puppies annually.
The HUNTE CORPORATION has been proven to source IT'S puppies from known Puppy mills across the USA.
They are under investigation for many HUMANE VIOLATIONS in the US, but Canada has no jurisdiction over US policies, and Vise versa.
PET HABITAT sources 100% of it's puppies through the HUNTE CORPORATION.
Sick puppies are flooding into the country. Showing up with contractible diseases such as PARVO VIRUS and genetically transferable medical conditions. Many are Euthanized directly upon arrival.
*We are unable to provide the source of this information as to protect professional privacy* -Local Professional Veterinarians are often brought into the stores to provide this service.
This massive import is pushing the supply and therefore the demand for puppies. Canadians are un-wittingly fueling a system of abuse that only government intervention can reduce.
PET HABITAT in BC alone is boasting on their website an outrageous profit in sales...And are recruiting publicly for more franchises.
From their website: "Revenue for individual locations of a Pet franchise could go up to over a few billion dollars a year. Profits have jumped from $17 billion in sales in 1994 to a skyrocketing $38.5 billion in 2006 "
1) Is there a true NEED for this mass importation of American puppies? Is there a shortage of puppies born into canada or a lack of dogs needing homes in Canada?
2) Should there be a cap on the prices of these dogs?
The same puppy is purchased from it's home source for very little, sold to Pet stores like PET HABITAT for hundreds and then Sold again to the naive Canadian public for THOUSANDS. Is that ethical?
3) These puppies are also "breedable". What are the exponential risks and costs involved to Canadians with that issue alone over time?
*** Sign bellow to demand the complete stop of the mass importation of puppies into Canada by the Canadian government effective IMMEDIATELY.
We the Citizens of Canada and the USA demand:
1) The complete stop of mass importation of puppies into Canada by the canadian government Effective IMMEDIATELY.
2) That no Brokerage firm may cross the border at any time with dogs of any age.
3) That a cap be placed on the amount of puppies imported into the country by any one at any time be placed at '6' per registered OWNER. To prevent individuals from becoming the transportation service for these corporations.
The latest connected stories:
The Ban Mass Importation of Puppies into Canada petition to Canadian Government, Border Control was written by iesza and is in the category Animal Rights at GoPetition.