* Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or injure female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
* An estimated 100 to 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.
* In Africa, about three million girls are at risk for FGM annually.
* The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
* Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later, potential childbirth complications and newborn deaths.
* It is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15 years.
* FGM is internationally recognized as a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
This Petition is to try our hardest to make Illegal the practice of Female Genital Mutilation or FGM. It is a huge violation of the human rights for women and girls and also takes away a special part of their body and lives. This procedure uses no Anesthetics at all, usually a piece of broken glass, lid of a can or scissors are used causing infection and in some cases death.
After the procedure most the women and girls live the rest of their life in pain both emotional and physical. The whole reason behind this act is to keep the women from wanting to have sex making it easier to control them. This was banned in Egypt after a little girl died from it After many had already died.
Procedures are mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15, and occasionally on adult women. In Africa, about three million girls are at risk for FGM annually.
Between 100 to 140 million girls and women worldwide are living with the consequences of FGM. In Africa, about 92 million girls age 10 years and above are estimated to have undergone FGM.
The practice is most common in the western, eastern, and north-eastern regions of Africa, in some countries in Asia and the Middle East, and among certain immigrant communities in North America and Europe.
Please sign this Petition if you do not agree with this Practice. Help try to stop this and if in some countries the women dont mind it, at least we can try to add medical supplies or such so that it wont be so painful during and after. Thank you.
The Ban Female Genital Mutilation petition to All those who still Practice FGM was written by Joel Elliott Davis II and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition.