20 June 2012 - The International Day in Support of Political Prisoners in Iran
The Campaign to Free Political Prisoners in Iran (CFPPI) has declared the 20th of June as The International Day in Support of Political Prisoners in Iran. In response to this call, demonstrations were held in 50 cities around the world.
Why the 20th of June?
The 20th of June 1981 was an important turning point in the history of the struggle of the people in Iran against the Islamic regime. In 1979 the current regime hijacked the revolution in Iran and imposed their theocratic authoritarian power on millions of people.
Also in 1981, less than two years of coming to power, on the 20th of June the regime started its crackdown on the opposition parties and organizations including their members. Further, waves of mass arrests, tortures, and executions were carried out: the regime executed 300-500 people every day, a total of up to 7000 people were executed that year, some for merely reading opposition handouts. There is no precise information about the exact number of people that were arrested and executed since the regime carried out this cleansing act in secret and buried the bodies in unmarked mass burial sites. The parents of those executed were never informed of their children’s grave. Some estimate that between 1981 and 1988 a total of 20,000 innocent men and women were executed by the current regime in Iran.
20th of June 2011
In support of the call by CFPPI the International Day in Support of Political Prisoners in Iran was held in 50 cities across the globe. For more information please Contact us.
20th of June 2010
CFPPI called 20th of June to be recognized as The International Day in Support of Political Prisoners in Iran. This was done to highlight the imprisonment, torture and execution of thousands of political prisoners in Iran over the past three decades.
20 June 2009
Following the so-called “election” of Ahmadinejad in summer of 2009, thousands of demonstrators came to the streets in different cities in Iran. Thousands of demonstrators, some of them as young as 13, were arrested, brutally tortured and raped. As you read these lines, many of them are still in prison and awaiting their death sentence.
On the 20th of June 2009 the day that Neda Agha-Soltan (a 27-year-old philosophy student) was shot to death by the snipers of the Islamic regime on the streets of Tehran, regime arrested more than 500 of the demonstrators!
Since the Islamic regime of Iran took power in 1979, people in Iran have been deprived of their basic rights including their freedom of expression. Soon after the regime established its power, mass imprisonment and execution of dissident started. Since 1979, no opposition has been tolerated, and slightest resistance to the establishment has been faced with fiercest punishment. This has been the living situation in Iran for more than 32 years, and since then, the number of political prisoners have been on the rise.
Political prisoners in Iran need your support. Their voice needs to be echoed all around the word. You can make a difference by demanding the release of all political prisoners in Iran.
We, the undersigned individuals and organizations, demand:
1. Recognize 20 June as the International Day in Support of Political Prisoners in Iran
2. The immediate and unconditional release of all political prisoners and prisoners of conscience in Iran.
3. Halt on all current execution sentences and further such sentences issues by the Islamic judiciary system in Iran.
4. The Islamic Regime of Iran must be isolated politically and diplomatically on an international level, and their diplomats and delegates must be expelled from all international communities such as the United Nations, especially the UN Commission on the Status of Women, and the International Labour Organization (ILO).
5. The closure of embassies and offices of the Islamic regime of Iran.
به مناسبت ٢٠ ژوئن ٢٠١٢ روز سراسرى حمايت از زندانيان سياسي در ايران
ما امضا كنندگان زير :
- خواهان به رسميت شناخته شدن بيستم ژوئن به عنوان روز جهانى در حمايت از زندانيان سياسى ايران هستيم.
- خواهان آزادى فورى و بدون قيد و شرط تمامى زندانيان سياسى و عقيدتى هستيم.
- خواهان لغو احكام اعدام و متوقف كردن اعدام در ايران ميباشيم .
- رژيم جمهورى اسلامى در سطح جهانى از لحاظ سياسي و ديپلماتيك منزوى شودو ديپلماتها و سفيرانش از سازمانهاى بين المللى از جمله سازمان ملل بالاخص كميسيون حقوق زنان و سازمان جهانى كار.
- سفارتخانه ها و كنسولگرى هاى رژيم در تمام كشورها بايد بسته شود.