Support grows for issuance of The Canadian Military Volunteer Service Medal
Dave Palmer, the sponsor of a long standing petition for the issuance of a new Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, has called his supportes to also sign a similar petition at the PARLIAMENT of CANADA website.
Supporters can continue to sign the petition at GoPetition but Mr Palmer has indicated that it is of paramount importance that supporters also sign the parliamentary petition at https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-127 which, on the parliamentary website, is e-petition number e-127.
The parliamentary petition is as follows:
- At one time the Government of Canada issued “The Canadian Volunteer Service Medal’ (CVSM), a Volunteer Service Medal to recognize Canadians who served voluntarily in the Canadian Forces;
- This honourable and noteworthy acknowledgment of volunteerism by our Veterans and our Troops abruptly stopped on 1 March 1947;
- Only one other determined period was ever recognized, that being Korea where only those Troops received a specified Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea;
- Veterans Affairs Canada considers any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who releases with an honourable discharge and who successfully underwent basic training to be a Veteran; and
- Many Veterans and Troops, who with courage and conviction also volunteered to serve were never and have never been recognized or acknowledged by means of a volunteer service medal.