|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - san luis obispo county
Highway 1 in San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties is renowned for its iconic stature as one of the most scenic highways in the United States with stellar views of the Pacific Ocean and Coastal Mountains and Terraces. Caltrans recent "chipseal" resurfacing has decimated a nearly 25 mile stretch of this road in Northern San Luis Obispo County making it dangerous for cyclists and uncomfortable for other means of transport.
Highway 1 is a heavily used cycling route with a substantial number of local riders using it on a daily basis. It also attracts significant numbers of cyclists from around the state and beyond who participate in organized tours and fundraising events such as:
- Best Buddies Challenge, for which Maria Shriver is the Chair Person;
- California Coast Classic - Arthritis Foundation
- National and local bicycle touring companies (for example Backroads, Central Coast Outdoors, Cycling Escapes, etc);
- The Amgen Tour of California (2006-2008);
- Wounded Warriors;
- Numerous fundraising rides supported by the San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club and Cambria riders.
Thus, in addition to concerns for safety, the potential economic impact of the current road condition on the local economy is likely to be significant.