|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - australian capital territory
There are a large number of people commuting from Gungahlin to Woden. Currently the only option is to travel to City interchange and catch a bus to Woden interchange.
The buses are usually full and it takes more than an hour to reach Woden. A direct service to Woden from Gungahlin via Gungahlin Drive will be of immense help to the office-goers.
Rail is the transport of the future. New South Wales communities are linked by a valuable community asset - it's rail network. However around 50% of its rail lines are currently non-operational. This petition calls on the NSW Government to repair and restore these lines in stages for the benefit of the people of the NSW regions.
Increasing oil prices and the need to reduce carbon
emission make reviving this network a no-brainer.
We propose a pilot: repair and restoration of the track from Canberra to Cooma, which will have the following benefits:
1. Reducing commuter traffic and increasing traffic safety on the Monaro Highway
• A large and increasing number of cars and trucks travel the highway between Cooma and Canberra daily, including many from Bredbo, Michelago and Royalla.
During the snow season, local farmers are finding stock and produce movements are increasingly hampered and unsafe.
2. More economical carriage of freight, including agricultural products and quarry material
• The renewed line would give regional centres such as Cooma, Michelago, Bredbo and Williamsdale access to the wider NSW network.
3. Better and safer access to the snow fields.
4. Increased tourism
• The train will provide a viable, attractive alternative to bus and car travel to the many tourist sites along the way.
• The Historical Railway Society’s Canberra-Michelago tourist train has been closed for over ten years. If the Government repairs the line, this train will again become a popular and successful operation.
The inevitable success of this pilot will revive enthusiasm for restoration of the rest of the NSW rail network, connecting and revitalising communities across the state.