|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Save The Green Belt Darwin
Petition Background (Preamble):
The planned destruction of bushland for the conservation of a light industrial estate and associated works on Lot 5182 of the kulaluk lease between Fitzer Drive, Bagot Road, Totem Road and Dickward Drive will have these consequences:
- The site is in a surge-zone area.
- The site is under the flight path of Darwin Airport.
- Proposed access roads entering Dickward Drive and Bagot Road will create highly dangerous "Blackspots".
- There will be an increase in "Rat-running" through the nearby streets.
- The development will face onto residential homes on Fitzer Drive.
- The development will become an eyesore along Dickward Drive, a road of outstanding natural beauty.
- There will likely be spillage of toxic waste into the drains into the mangroves on Aboriginal land.
- There will be more noise and traffic before and after accepted working hours.
- The flora and fauna of the area will disappear forever, including protected species of birds - Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Red-Winged Fairy Wren, Black-breasted Buzzard, Brown Goshawk, Crested Hawk, Barking Owl, Brown Falcon, Australian Hobby, Australian Kestrel, Greenshank, Yellow Wagtail, restless Flycatcher, Long-tailed Finch, Crimson Finch, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Rainbow Pitta and many others.
Special trees on this block include Atalaya variifolia and tress of the Wrightia genus. It is doubtful whether the flora of this block has ever been properly surveyed.
Your petitioners therefore humbly pray that the Northern Territory Government:
- urgently consult with the residents of Ludmilla, Coconut Grove and Minmarama Village regarding the effects on the well-being of said residents by the rezoning of a conservation zone for a light industry estate that will drastically change the ambiance of the area.
- Urgently consult with all Aboriginal people who have a cultural and historical connection to the said land.
- Facilitate cultural, environmental and heritage studies to document sites and ecology of the area.
- Conduct an inquiry into the circumstances whereby the incorporated association who holds the lease to 301 hectares of priceless public land, including Lot 5182, can amend their constitution so that a minimum of five members can decide the future of the lease to the detriment of neighbouring residents and other Aboriginal people and in contradiction to the expressed original purpose for the granting of a lease to Larrakia and associated Aboriginal people.
The Save The Green Belt Darwin petition to The Northern Territory Government was written by Maria Grujicic and is in the category Environment at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: mangroves, bushland, darwin, ludmilla, coconut grove, development, nature, sacred land, dolphines, bird life, trees, save our bushland, land isn't for sale, aborginal people, village, neighbourhood