|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Save Lone Parents' Family Support
Petition Background (Preamble):
- Lone Parent Family Support Service was set up in the 1960's and was national with 50 branches.
- At the time of closure there were 3 branches remaining, all in the Sydney Metropolitan Area; in Dee Why, Parramatta and Sydney CBD.
- Funding was through the Department of Family and Community Services.
- There are increasing needs for the service due to multiple pressures on sole parent families. All costs of living are increasing, including food, electricity and childcare. The median rent for an apartment in Sydney is now $460 per week.
- Post separation, there are a often a multitude of agencies to navigate through as well as the Family Court.
- The transfer of recipients from Single Parenting Payment and onto Newstart in January 2013 will result in further financial stress.
- The service is free to sole mothers and sole fathers.
- The organisation has no political or religious affiliation and supports parents from all backgrounds and ethnicities.
- A new funding model has created challenges for this small-scale organisation. The closure occurred 24th August 2012.
Since its inception in the 1960’s, this organisation has assisted thousands of lone parent families.
The activities of LPFSS are a good fit with the stated aims of the NSW Government in this Sector; that is to improve services for vulnerable children, young people and families.
Research demonstrates that emotional support of the parent in a sole parent context improves educational and social outcomes for the children.
The three remaining Sydney branches have hundreds of families on their books today who, if the closure goes ahead, will no longer receive support, counselling and referrals to other services.
Nationally, one in five children live in a sole-parent family and this proportion is forecast to increase further, which is why this is the wrong time to cut this dedicated service.
LPFSS is an essential targeted service serving the needs of sole parents and must be preserved as an integral part of improving outcomes for children in NSW.
We request an immediate postponement of the imminent closure and demand that an urgent review of its funding be conducted.
The Save Lone Parents' Family Support petition to Ms Pru Goward, MP was written by Julie Forster and is in the category Community Welfare at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: lone parent, sole parent, solo mother, lone parent family support, lpfss, birthright, nsw government, goward, community welfare, fosp, friends of sole parents