|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Restore Highway One Cycling in Northern San Luis Obispo County
Petition Background (Preamble):
Highway 1 is a heavily used cycling route with a substantial number of local riders using it on a daily basis. It also attracts significant numbers of cyclists from around the state and beyond who participate in organized tours and fundraising events such as:
- Best Buddies Challenge, for which Maria Shriver is the Chair Person;
- California Coast Classic - Arthritis Foundation
- National and local bicycle touring companies (for example Backroads, Central Coast Outdoors, Cycling Escapes, etc);
- The Amgen Tour of California (2006-2008);
- Wounded Warriors;
- Numerous fundraising rides supported by the San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club and Cambria riders.
Thus, in addition to concerns for safety, the potential economic impact of the current road condition on the local economy is likely to be significant.
CALTRANS has a wonderful opportunity to do the right thing. There are too many stakeholders and this problem is too big to just go away.
With an open and willing approach to addressing this problem, CALTRANS will garner significant public goodwill.
Monitor Progress on the Rollers' Facebook Page :
The Restore Highway One Cycling in Northern San Luis Obispo County petition to California Department of Transportation, District 5 was written by David Lacey and is in the category Roads & Transport at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: bicycling, california highway 1, san luis obispo county, big sur, caltrans, chipseal