|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Parenting Payment for Families - Not the Dole
Petition Background (Preamble):
The decision to force single parents from a parenting payment to Newstart will further impoverish over 100,000 struggling families when the youngest child turns 8.
In the New Year about 60,000 struggling families will lose at least $60 per week.
• Newstart (the dole) equates to $39 per day.
• Single parents supplementing their payment with paid work will lose up to $120.
• On Newstart single parents can only earn $32 p/w before income is reduced.
• Pension Education Supplement cannot be accessed on Newstart.
• Childcare available only for initial 2 year period. Cost increase from 10c to $1 an hour.
• 8 years old is just too young.
The decision to pass this legislation was at odds with the Senate Committee and the Joint Parliamentary Human Rights Committee, which stated that it could “deprive” single parent families and their children “of minimum essential levels of social security.
Both Committees have been ignored along with the voices of single parents.
We seek a fair go for all families. We call upon the government to overturn the Social Security Legislation Amendment (Fair Incentives to Work) Bill 2012.
It's not too late.
We call upon the Australian government to overturn the Social Security Legislation Amendment (Fair Incentives to Work) Bill 2012.
Please sign this petition to show your support - it's not too late.
The Parenting Payment for Families - Not the Dole petition to Australian Government was written by Terese Edwards and is in the category Government at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: parent payment single, newstart, single parents, poverty, dole, social security, social welfare