|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
No to redevelopment plans for Faircharm Trading Estate
Petition Background (Preamble):
Crossfields residents and other stakeholders on Creekside will lose views and sunlight once the development is built, whilst three years of construction will bring dust and pollution and turn Creekside into a dangerous road for all users and residents.
Only 28 parking spaces are provided – Crossfields already provides free parking for Faircharm, Lewisham College, APT, Laban, Cockpit, Tidemill, high street and Wavelengths users. Workspace also describe Crossfields's private roads (the upkeep of which tenants pay for) as a public pathway to transport links and Deptford High Street.
Many of the existing creative businesses will not be rehoused in the new employment spaces because of their light industrial activities, even though this is a designated business area, with few other such spaces available in the borough. The business space will be reduced by half and house only residential-friendly office-based businesses. Other tenants will not be able to afford to stay.
The ecology of the Creek is threatened by the increase in illumination from electric light, whilst Crossfields residents on Creekside and APT artists will lose sunlight.
Workspace threaten to close the site down if they do not get their way.
NB: Please use a relevant address if you work or live on Creekside.
• 180 construction lorries per day for three years, causing Creekside to become dangerous, noisy and polluting
• The 13-storey tower and three 7-storey buildings will block out sunlight to Crossfields residents living on Creekside by 20%
• Demolition will cause rats, dust and pollution
• Only 28 parking spaces for a potential 250 residents and 200 employees
• Increased foot traffic through Crossfields Estate which residents pay to maintain
• Promised access to the Creek will be in the shade for most of the day
• Only 15% (22) of the 148 proposed flats will be affordable
• It's a major threat to the ecological biodiversity of Deptford Creek and its surrounds
• The development is inappropriate for a Conservation Zone
• This area is designated for employment but the present creative business tenants will not be rehoused and other tenants will not be able to afford the new office spaces
• The environments of two established and highly regarded cultural centres will be radically altered.
Nothing has been offered to us by way of compensation for the loss of light and views and three years of dust and pollution.
The No to redevelopment plans for Faircharm Trading Estate petition to Lewisham Planning was written by Creeksider and is in the category City & Town Planning at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: workspace, faircharm, crossfields, new development, biodiversity, deptford, creative businesses, parking, affordable housing, conservation, apt, creekside centre