Estes Hills Drive Neighbors' Petition to Town Council
- Chapel Hill Town Council
- United States of America
We, the undersigned, have studied the plans for Carolina Flats on Estes Drive near MLK and cannot recommend support of this concept to our neighborhoods -- Estes Hills, Huntington-Somerset, Mt. Bolus, Coker Hills, Coker Woods and Coker Hills West -- for the following reasons:
1. Traffic concerns: this plan would add 800 parking spaces at a critical entry point on an already busy Estes Drive which back ups during morning and evening rush hours;
2. Danger to pedestrians, including children walking to Estes Hill Elementary and Phillips Junior High School;
3. Flooding issues: Estes Drive already frequently floods in the vicinity of the proposed project; and
4. Plans do not meet residential zoning and Comprehensive Plan goals protecting neighborhoods and our natural setting;
5. Submission of a concept plan is premature as the Town's Chapel Hill 2020 process will develop a new land use plan.
Table the Carolina Flats plan for a hotel and student apartments until the new Comprehensive Plan under development is complete;
Ensure full neighborhood participation in future vision plans which involve any proposed zoning changes by including residents of the neighborhoods listed above in a comprehensive area plan of Southern MLK and Estes Drive.