|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
LET ALL GEORGIAN CITIZENS ABROAD EXERCISE THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS IN GEORGIA!
Closed on Aug 10, 2012
Petition Background (Preamble):
Executive orders 151 and 158, which were passed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia on July 6, 2012 and July 11, 2012, require citizens of Georgia who reside outside of their home country to provide information about their legal status and proof of residency abroad. Without registering at a consulate, citizens will be unable to cast an external vote in the parliamentary and presidential elections of Georgia. The previous requirement for registration were in line with the common practices in other parts of the world, but the requirement set by the newly-passed orders, enacted less than 3 months before the elections, is unconstitutional insofar as it impedes the fundamental right of Georgian citizens to vote. Due to the economic hardship in Georgia, one third of Georgia’s citizenry resides abroad, and most of them cannot meet the new requirements set by the above-mentioned orders. The correction made by the Ministry of Foreign affairs as of July 26, 2012, which states that a copy of an ID card issued by the foreign country , bank statement or any other proof of residency can serve as proof of residency, does not change the essence of the above-mentioned amendments.
In most countries, regardless of a citizen’s legal status in a foreign country, mere presentation of the valid passport is sufficient to be registered at the consular offices. Furthermore, the Georgian citizens abroad lose their citizenship if they failed to register with Georgian Consulate within 2 years after they left their homeland.
1. გაუქმდეს საგარეო საქმეთა მინისტრის ბრძანებები #151 (06.11.2012) და ბრძანება #158 (11.07.2012);
2. საარჩევნო უბნები გაიხსნას იმ საზღვარგარეთ ქალაქებშიც, სადაც, საარჩევნო ოლქის გასახსნელ პეტიციაზე ხელს მოაწერს მოქალაქეთა ის რაოდენობა, რაც გათვალისწინებულია საქართველოს საარჩევნო კანონმდებლობით.
3. გაუქმდეს მომქმედი კანონმდებლობა, რომლის მიხედვით, მოქალაქე, რომელმაც არ გაიარა საკონსულო აღრიცხვა საზღვარგარეთ ყოფნისას 2 წლის განმავლობაში, ერთმევა საქართველოს მოქალაქეობა.
We, the undersigned, demand:
- The dissolution of the orders 151 (July 6, 2012) and 158 (July 11. 2012), which were passed by the Ministry of Foreign affairs of Georgia, according to which, Georgian citizens abroad must provide information about their legal status in a foreign country and proof of residency abroad;
- To open the polling stations not only in the capitals and the largest cities abroad, but also where, according to the preliminary lists, significant amounts of Georgian citizens reside;
- Dissolution of the law according to which Georgian citizens abroad lose their citizenship if they fail to register with Georgian Consulate within 2 years of leaving their homeland.
The dissolution of the above mentioned law and orders will enable Georgian citizens abroad to use their constitutional right to cast their votes.
The LET ALL GEORGIAN CITIZENS ABROAD EXERCISE THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THE PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS IN GEORGIA! petition to Parliament and Government of Georgia, European Parliament, UNHRC, US Congressman Jim McDermott was written by George Surguladze and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: violation of voting rights in georgia, human rights violation, georgia