Opposition to Abortion Law Reform 2008 (Victoria, Australia) - alternative wording
- Victorian State Government, Victorian State Opposition, all Members of Parliament
Over 1600 signatures were gathered in 12 weeks.
The petition will be submitted to the leaders of the Victorian Government and Opposition.
On 10th October 2008 the Victorian Parliament narrowly passed the Abortion Law Reform Bill 2008 in a conscience vote. This was despite massive community opposition to the Bill, especially from Christians. On Sunday 5th October, over 3000 Christians and Catholics gathered on the steps of Parliament to protest the legislation.
We want to send a message to the Victorian Parliament (the Government, Opposition and all sitting members) that tens of thousands of Christian voters are opposed to the new Law. Read the Law here.
When this petition has gathered 3000 signatories it will be sent to the offices of the State Premier and Opposition leader. Please sign the petition only if you are a resident of Victoria.
Please note: This is a parallel petition to this one for people who do not believe in abortion under any circumstances, including an obstetric emergency (point 4). Please only sign this petition if you have not signed the other one.
Denominations represented so far, in no particular order and non-exhaustive: Anglican, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Seventh-day Adventist, Uniting Church, Pentecostal, Assemblies of God/ACC, Presbyterian, Christian Reformed Church, Lutheran, Planetshakers, Christian Brethren
• We affirm that God is the giver of all life, and that He opposes violence and killing.
• We affirm that all human life is sacred, and that God loves and cares for all human beings from conception until death.
• We affirm that pregnancy, childbirth and parenting are great blessings.
• We oppose abortion under any circumstances (while acknowledging that urgent medical intervention intended to save the life of the mother may sometimes result in the tragic loss of her unborn child).
• We affirm that in Jesus Christ there is forgiveness and restoration for people who have had abortions and people who have performed abortions.
• We call on Churches and the State to provide compassionate and truthful counselling for pregnant women on the risks of abortion, and on the alternatives to abortion.
• We call on Churches and the State to provide compassionate and generous support for all parents, especially single parents and those struggling with need.
• We call on Churches and the State to improve care for the disabled, and to demonstrate that they are a valued part of society.
• We condemn the Abortion Law Reform Act 2008, which permits abortion on demand up to 24 weeks of pregnancy and allows abortion from 24 weeks until birth on the agreement of two doctors.
• We praise the role that medical and nursing professionals play in sustaining life in the State of Victoria.
• We support all Victorian doctors and nurses who, on grounds of religion or conscience, refuse to participate in abortion or to provide a referral for abortion.