The Khokana Festival in Nepal is held annually in August. During the festival a young female goat is thrown into a pond where a group of young men attack, bite and tear the goat apart while it is still alive. The man who is judged to have eventually killed the goat is named a "hero" and leads a dance procession which follows.
The local Village Development Committee sponsors this annual festival. Such a cruel and vicious act inflicted on an animal has no place in a civilized society and should be banned immediately.
1. It is undeniably cruel to the goats;
2. It depraves all those taking part in the killing;
3. It contradicts animal welfare principles;
4. It is detrimental to the image of Nepal;
5. It is detrimental to Nepal's tourist industry.