|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - states
As Americans we are already paying too much in tax. Our founding fathers argued that they did not want to put a ceiling on a 10% tax rate for citizens because a future Government might have the audacity to impose such a high rate.
History supports less intrusive Government, free enterprise, and less than a 10% tax rate for all.
The United States draft resolution (A/HRC/19/L.2) on Sri Lanka was tabled at the 19th session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on 8 March 2012.
This resolution, is being brought up to address the alleged "war crimes" supposed to have occurred during the humanitarian mission to save innocent civilians from the terror of the inhumane terrorist organization calling itself the "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)".
1. Calls upon the Government of Sri Lanka to implement the constructive Recommendations made in the report of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission and to take all necessary additional steps to fulfil its relevant legal obligations and commitment to initiate credible and independent actions to ensure justice, equity, accountability and reconciliation for all Sri Lankans;
2. Requests the Government of Sri Lanka to present, as expeditiously as possible, a comprehensive action plan detailing the steps that the Government has taken and will take to implement the recommendations made in the Commission’s report, and also to address alleged violations of international law;
3. Encourages the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and relevant special procedures mandate holders to provide, and the Government of Sri Lanka to accept, advice and technical assistance on implementing the above-mentioned steps, and requests the Office of the High Commissioner to present a report on the provision of such assistance to the Human Rights Council at its twenty-second session.
The passing of this resolution will have the effect of;
1) Breaching Article 2(7) of the Charter of the United Nations which states "Nothing contained in the present Charter shall authorize the United Nations to intervene in matters which are essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of any state"
2)Completely jeopardizing the core concepts of International Law and breaching Article 2(1) of the Charter of the United Nations, which ensure the sovereign equality of all its Members, since no such resolution has been brought up against the US (sponsor of the current resolution) for allegations of Human Rights Violations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
3) Violating the sovereignty and integrity of Sri Lanka.
4) Hindering the effort of the Sri Lankan government in its reconciliation efforts to ensure equality among all races and the post war development process.
5) Taxing the resources of the United Nations since the government of Sri Lanka has already made substantial progress in implementing the recommendations of the LLRC report which makes it unnecessary for a process as recommended.
I have been working with the Missing and Unidentified for the last 9 years and well aware of this crisis.The last statistics are 100,000 active missing persons and 40,000 to 60,000 human remains.
Many of these remains are in unmarked graves with no name or laying in coroners or medical offices.There are many,many others out here waiting to be found and get their names back.Daily people are disappearing everyday and many are homicide victims. Many of their killers are still out here repeating crimes and taking more lives. Human remains are being found often when someone stumbles upon them. The statistics change as more go missing and some are being found.This is in every State in America.
I am in full support of Billy's Law-The Help Find the Missing Act
(H.R. 1300 and S.R. 702)
... Billy's Law would link two existing databases maintained by the Department of Justice:
1.FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and,
2.Department of Justice’s National Missing Person and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).
United States of Tara is an American television comedy-drama created by Diablo Cody, which began airing on Showtime in 2009.
The series follows the life of Tara (Toni Collette), a suburban housewife and mother coping with dissociative identity disorder.
One of the most serious threats to the U.S. criminal justice system is the allegation that racism influences the imposition of death sentences.
I propose an overhaul of the sentencing process, using the best technology available.
We are declaring a moral separation from the current ruling administration and the policies it is currently enacting which is diminishing our liberties.
Moral Declaration simply means:
- Declaring our willingness and our ability to no longer support the current administrations decisions.
- Asserting our stance under ‘Redress of Grievances’.
- Affirming that in good faith and trust-
- We are done giving them moral support!
• We are presenting the new Moral Declaration of Independence with grievances in accordance with the United States Constitution and current U.S. Code of Law.
• We openly recognize that we have shared the intent and the spirit of the original Declaration of Independence.
• The original document was a declaration of war; however, at this time that is not the direction that America can withstand.
• Its strength and spirit is as viable today as when first written. (We intentionally utilized much of the original writings.)
• This document, as a petition with signatures will be taken to and registered in Washington D.C.
The cornerstone of our constitutional Republic has been the Declaration of Independence. The men who founded this great nation knew that those who rule must be of the character that recognizes that we will all stand before the God of heaven and be held accountable. These founders also knew that the ruling class often forgets this fact. We have been given the right to reset to the original intent of this founding document.
Now is the time… for all patriotic citizens to stand up and be counted.
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 33:12).
I am allergic to dogs, and have seen many in public parks where there are lots of signs telling dog owners kindly to have their dogs on leashes. However, I have seen many dogs NOT on leashes and this makes me very upset to see that the owners are not paying attention to the signs.
I have been on tons of chases where an eager dog (not on a leash) runs after me. Alot of owners when I tell them I am allergic to dogs they say their dogs are hypoallergenic, and they can be to some people, but not to me. I am allergic to all kinds of dogs, "hypoallergenic" or not. These dogs don't know better than to chase me, but their owners do.
The owners need to be more considerate to people who are allergic to dogs like me and keep their dogs on leashes.
We shouldn't have zoning. They always call the United States the "Land Of Opportunity" but if they won't let us build what we want where we want, that isn't much opportunity is it? Outlawing zoning in the USA would satisfy a lot of people, including me. We should be able to build what we want where we want because:
a) more jobs, less unemployment
c) more space in a city
and much more! Please sign today.
This petition is to show the band how many loyal fans they have in NORTH AMERICA that would love to see them perform again before their final date in Chile 2010.
*Please sign and spread the message around on the internet. Thank you.
As Detention Enforcement Officers, our performance, experience, work knowledge professionalism and loyalty are beyond the scope of what we were hired to do. The numerous duties we carry are beyond our pay grade.
Some of these duties include the assistance we offer to many agencies on the federal, state and local levels as well as the court family and its many agencies. We also assist our very own district administrative staff and deputies. Throughout the years we have taken charge of our section, Custody and Transportation.
Public Officials must take and Oath of Office in support of the U.S. Constitution and Colorado State Constitution an guarantee a Republican form of government.
Article X of the U. S. Constitution states "the power not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the People."
WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DO NOT WANT THIS HEALTH CARE REFORM.
MY HUSBAND IS A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER AND WE CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY 1200.00 A MONTH FOR INSURANCE AND 200.00 TO 300.00 A MONTH FOR POWER AND BE ABLE TO FEED OURSELVES...
SO TELL ME HOW CAN SOMEONE THAT WORKS A 7.25 DOLLAR A HOUR JOB BE ABLE TO DO THIS?
Manneau and Evena Jean-Charles have began the adoption process of Stevinson, Millard and Sabine Jean-CHarles in 2007 from there homeland of Haiti.
The adoption process has been completed from the Haitain side, since the Haitian earthquake, and now under the policy involving Humanitarian Parole for Haitian Orphans signed by Secretary Janet Napolitano on January 18th 2010, we have requested our children to come to the United States, and made request via Homeland Security and the USCIS and Haitian Adoptions. All paperwork is in order.
To date the children, one of which is injured with two broken legs, and all three homeless, living in the streets of Haiti, have yet to be delivered into our care and custody.
Even though marriage rates in the United States are declining, unmarried couples in the United States are not offered the same rights as those who are married.
Whether they choose not to marry, or simply are not allowed to by law, they are considered unequal to married couples.
In the prosecution of Kevin G. Wiggins, on conspiracy and wire fraud charges, it is alleged that United States Attorneys for the Northern District of Georgia conspired with Mr. Wiggins's co-defendant and his co-defendant's attorney to falsify evidence. Such false evidence was presented to the court, along with documents prosecutors submitted to the court containing materially false evidence, and a variety of false statements made by one of the persecutors, which resulted in the sentencing of Mr. Wiggins.
In addition, the prosecutors violated Mr. Wiggins's and his sister's constitutional rights to due process, by deceiving the court into believing that other key participants in the fraud, a loan officer and underwriter, were innocent of the same crimes, and they also misled the court into believing the two closing attorneys in the conspiracy would be charged soon after Mr. Wiggins's sentencing, and to recommend a reduced sentence for his cooperation against the attorneys. It's been over a year and no charges have been filed.
It is also alleged that prosecutors, along with the F.B.I. case agent, prepared a report of Mr. Wiggins's testimony he provided in a debriefing with the government, in which he provided evidence to refute the false claims the appraiser in the case made about Mr. Wiggins's sister. The report was never presented to Mr. Wiggins or his defense attorney, nor the court. Moreover, the evidence disproving the false claims by the appraiser, were deleted from the report, and thereafter the report was provided to Mr. Wiggins's sister and her attorney, which led her to plead guilty under false pretenses, because prosecutors never mentioned the positive testimony her brother provided.
Mr. Wiggins has had a website set up to help bring the outrageous corruption of justice in his and his sister's case to the public's attention, to help prevent it from happening to other citizens of our country.
United States citizens have the Constitutional right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as long as those pursuits don't infringe on the rights of others. The pursuit of happiness through marriage is a long accepted tradition, one which federal law, and many state’s laws, forbid if the prospective pair is of the same sex. Homosexuality does not infringe upon anyone's rights, except where couples are being prosecuted for having a different way of life.
Disallowing homosexual coupling could be looked upon as an infringement of the citizens’ rights, because it is a nonviolent union, formed to pursue happiness, not to violate anyone’s rights. Christianity is a major religion in the United States, but we also have the freedom to choose to follow any religion we wish.
While Christianity is anti-homosexual, not every religion is, and not everyone in the United States is Christian. Therefore, not everyone thinks homosexuality is an unforgivable tendency, and many support it. Thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands, have expressed their desire to support homosexuals. The opposition is almost entirely religously based, and unconstitutional.
The National Organization to End the Waitlist (NOEWAIT) has a petition directed to the President and Members of Congress:
"Health Care Reform Must Eliminate Waitlists and Allow for the Continuation/Portability of Services Across State Lines"
NOEWAIT is a grass-roots, national, social justice movement organized to ensure full opportunity, choices, freedom, and self-determination for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in every community by eliminating wait lists for services in every state. This will be accomplished through public education, mobilizing people into action, and changing public policy.
Across the nation, people with intellectual and developmental disabilities wait years for services and supports and can not move freely from state to state or community to community.
There must be adequate funding for lifetime services and supports needed by our most vulnerable family
members, without gaps or delays.
Funding must be available in all states, portable across and within states and promote self-determination
for the individual with the disability, their families and legal guardians.
To unite the efforts of families, providers, government agencies, advocacy groups and citizens to change laws and policies across the country and eliminate waiting lists for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Legalization ( End Prohibition ) and Reform ( Current Laws ), of the current laws and policies which govern the use of Marijuana in the United States, it is time to seriously look into abolishing Prohibition of Marijuana, and change the laws accordingly to this issue.
Each and every year medical science has stated that the use of marijuana is safer than alcohol,and should not be listed as a narcotic, is not as addictive as once was thought, and has far more uses in the medical arena in the treatment for patients either terminal,or chronic, and safer as a alcohol alternative. With current standing laws more than 800000, people this year have been arrested, and many either white collar or blue collar workers, taxpayers and voters such as yourselves their lives destroyed, jobs lost.
Laws like these are not a deterrent, with more than 100 million plus users of marijuana and growing each year there has to be Open mindedness, and change. More money 10 billion yearly, and more over a trillion since President Nixion was in office for the war on drugs, this money which could've been better spent on programs for schools, parks, the poor, etc. the time is now to tell our representatives that it is enough, it is a time for change.
What’s Wrong With The Felony Murder Rule- Common Sense:
1. It is fundamentally unfair and in violation of basic principles of individual criminal culpability to hold one felon liable for the unseen and unagreed-to results of another felon’s action.
2. The felony murder rule operates as a matter of law upon proof of the intent to commit a felony to relieve the prosecution of its burden of proving intent to kill, which is a necessary element of murder.
3. The intention to commit a felony does not equal the intention to kill, nor is the intention to commit a felony, by itself, sufficient to establish a charge of murder.
4. The felony murder rule violates the Fourteenth Amendment’s guarantee of due process, more specifically, equal protection of the law, because no defense is allowed on the charge of first-degree murder, only the underlying felony.
5. The purpose of creating degrees of murder is to punish with increased severity the more culpable forms of murder, but an accidental or unknown killing during the commission or attempted commission of a felony is punished more severely than all other murder charges with exception to first degree murder.
6. The felony murder rule erodes the relation between criminal liability and moral culpability in that it punishes all homicides in the commission, or attempted commission, of the proscribed felonies, whether intentional, unintentional, or accidental, without proving the relation between the homicide and the perpetrator’s state of mind.
7. Holding one or many criminally liable for the bad results of an act which differs greatly from the intended results is based on a concept of culpability which is totally at odds with the general principles of jurisprudence.
8. The basic rule of culpability is further violated when felony murder is categorized as first-degree murder because all other first-degree murders (carrying equal punishment) require a showing of premeditation, deliberation, and willfulness, while felony murder only requires a showing of intent to do the underlying felony.
9. While the felony murder rule survives in California, and other states, the numerous modifications and restrictions of it by some states courts and legislatures throughout the United States reflect dissatisfaction with the basic harshness and injustice of the doctrine and call into question its continued existence.
10. The felony murder rule can be used by prosecutors in a manner so as to cause grossly disproportionate sentencing, depending on the circumstances of each individual case.
11. The felony murder rule is unconstitutional because the presumption of innocence is thrown out. The prosecutor must only prove intent to commit the original felony; once done, first degree murder attaches to the underlying felony even though intent, (mens rea,) to commit murder does not have to be proved.
12. The felony murder rule is unconstitutional because it violates the Eighth Amendment: cruel and unusual punishment, grossly disproportionate sentencing to the crime(s) actually committed.
13. The felony murder rule bears no rational relationship or equity in its two penalties, with the penalties of other California murder laws, including, at times, the charge of first-degree murder.
The current United States legal drinking age is 21. Many United States citizens disagree with this age. Many believe that the age to legally be able to purchase, consume or possess alcohol should be 18.
A United States Citizen is allowed to vote when they are 18 years of age. 18 year old males are forced to join the Selective Service, for possible drafting. This means that 18-year old males can go to war. At age 18, a citizen is also inclined to jury duty. So, an 18-year old is given the responsibilities of voting, being selected for jury duty, and possibly being drafted for war.
If an 18-year old citizen is to be given these responsibilities, why is the legal drinking age 21? Does the U.S. Government not trust those of us under 21? They trust us with their votes, yet they cannot treat us like full adults for another 3 years!
Malcolm X Grassroots Movement is an organization comprised of New African/Black people whose mission is to defend the human rights of our people and promote self-determination in our communities. We aim to fulfill our purpose through various programs and initiatives we do in our communities.
It is vital that we come together to support what is just and fair. If we don't stand up in support of one another's struggles, despite of our individual efforts we will not as a community, go far. We encourage you to check out our website www.mxgm.org to find out more about the work we do.
We are campaigning in support of a sister by the name of Assata Shakur. Assata Shakur was a member of the Black Panther Party who currently has political asylum in Cuba because of her political activity while she was in the United States. Assata Shakur stands as a symbol of freedom for many people in the US and we'd like to ensure that she remains unharmed. We are appealing to the Cuban Government because we know that they have the power to keep Assata safe.
This year marking the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Revolution, we'd like to celebrate Cuba's historic achievement while also gaining assurance that Assata will remain unscathed. Please read over our letter and join us in solidarity!
The following citizens of the State of New York, hereby demand the legalization of the non-monitored, mildly-regulated use of Cannabis sativa. The disapprovement marijuana has seemingly shrunk; the approval of Cannabis has seemingly increased.
Barak Hussein Obama may not even be a US citizen! He definitely is not Constitutionally qualified to be President of the United States. By his own admission, his father was a British citizen under allegiance to the British crown, this alone makes Obama disqualified!
Please know the facts, this is not a Right Wing Extremist fantasy issue, there are serious questions that must be addressed & Obama has spent over $1 million on three legal teams to keep his $20 birth certificate sealed from public view.. Why would he do this? Don't you have to show your Birth Certificate to get a job or a driver's license? Don't you have to send for your college transcripts to prove your educational qualifications? Don't we all have equal protection and or opportunity? Why is he able to avoid the requirements?
Congressional action was held to assure that John McCain born to Military parents serving our country abroad was a citizen, yet Obama was never vetted! Why?
I will say again what I’ve said for the last two years; Obama is not lawfully qualified to be president regardless of where he was born. Even if Obama by some chance was born in Hawaii he was still born a British Subject just as John McCain was born a U.S. Citizen even though he was born in another country.
Obama's father was a British Subject when Obama was born and subject to British law.
Read more here: http://legalwatch.blogtownhall.com/
Even if he was born in Hawaii as claimed Obama is not lawfully qualified to be President.
Also; here is another Great link to see for your self just what is going on here... We are getting Hi-Jacked by this Illegal Street THUG.
With all due respect to the United States Government after careful review of Darwin Huggans charges there were several errors and improper actions taken that entrapped Darwin to make a poor and unfortunate decision. However, sentencing Darwin to what the government calls a sentencing guideline enhancement would not be a suitable purpose or proper way to resolve our communities issues.
Darwin would not be what is considered a threat to the community, he is kind hearted and well respected gentleman, he has a significant impact on the well being of his friends and family. We know that he is not perfect but there is no question as to his genuine concerns and compassion for others. We are sure if given the opportunity the facts spoken would be substantiated.
Emily Machado who went missing on March 27, 2008 was located in Brazil. I have filed for the return of Emily though the Haige.
STOP UNCONTROLLED GAMBLING IN NOVA SCOTIA
SEND A STRONG MESSAGE TO GOVERNMENT WE THE PUBLIC ARE GOING TO PROTECT OUR YOUTH OUR FAMILIES AND OUR SENIORS FROM BEING VICTIMIZED.
1. GAMING CONTROL ACT: STATES: AS ITS PURPOSE TO REGULATE, CASINOS, LOTTERY SCHEMES AND TO INCREASE REVENUE FOR THE PROVINCE.
ENSURE THAT ANY MEASURES TAKEN WITH RESPECT TO CASINOS AND OTHER LOTTERY SCHEMES ARE UNDERTAKEN FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD AND IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE PUBLIC AND WITHOUT LIMITYING THE LIMITING OF THE FOREGOING, TO MINIMIZE THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT GIVE RISE TO PROBLEM GAMBLING AND OTHER ILLNESSES CRIME AND SOCIAL DISRUPTION, (1994-95,C,4,S.2.)THESE OPERATIONS ARE LICENCED PURSUANT TO THIS AND THE REGULATIONS AND THE CRIMINAL CODE (CANADA) TO CONDUCT AND MANAGE LOTTERY.
2. CONTROLLED BY MINISTER OF FINANCE AND MINISTER OF LABOR FOR THE PROVINCE OF NOVA SCOTIA. PART I AND PART I I .
THE GAMING CONTROL ACT SECTION 20 SUB SECTION C STATES OPERATORS AND RGULATORS MUST HAVE IN PLACE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES TO IDENTIFY AND REMOVE PROBLEM GAMBLERS NO WHERE IN THE ACT DOES IT SAY SELF-EXCLUSION FOR A PROBLEM GAMBLER.
3. MANAGED BY BOARD OF DIRECTORS APPOINTED BY GOVERNOR IN COUNCIL THERE ARE THREE TO FIVE BOARD MEMBERS APPOINTED.
4. THE CORPORATION SECTION E STATES REPORT FORTHWITH TO THE MINISTER AND THE COMMISSION ANY DEFECT, ABUSE, ILLEGALITY OR CRIMINAL ACTIVITY IN RELATION TO CASINOS AND OTHER LOTTERY SCHEMES;
5. NOVA SCOTIANS HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY NO TO GAMBLING IN THE PROVINCE OF NOVA SCOTIA. CASINO OPERATIONS AND VLTS OPERATIONS MUST BE STOPPED. GAMBLING IS A VERY DANGEROUS PAST TIME FOR ALL.
6. THE PAST AND PRESENT GOVERNMENT HAVE SHOWN THE PUBLIC JUST HOW INTEGRITY AND HONESTY REALLY WORKS JUST TAKE A LOOK AT PROBLEM GAMBLERS BANK ACCOUNTS. HOW MUCH MORE ABUSE AND CRIMINAL ACTIVITY CAN WE TAKE. THIS IS NOT ENTERTAINMENT. THE OMBUDSMANS REPORT WAS FINISHED IN 2007. THE RECOMMENDATIONS MOVE VERY SLOW AND ARE ONLY 50 % COMPLETE AFTER TWO YEARS. WILL WE EVER SEE ALL RECOMMENDATIONS COMPLETED?
7. WHEN GAMBLING ON MACHINES WAS ILLEGAL GOVERNMENT ACTED SWIFTLY AND WITHIN ONE DAY ALL WERE GATHERED UP AND DESTROYED. WHAT HAS CHANGED NOW? “NOTHING”
PLEASE SIGN WITH NAME ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER:
NAME: ADDRESS: PHONE NUMBER: VOTE:
PAUL BURRELL 269 CHARLOTTE STREET 902-578-0340 NO CASINOS &VLT’S
Bankruptcy laws have been in place for decades. Why is the United States not letting these businesses go into bankruptcy and joining in as a creditor with cash to keep them operating until they can correct this mess.
We say stop this buy out of the private sector by our taxes and let the system work itself out!
A Congressional Gold Medal is an award bestowed by the United States Congress and is, along with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States. The decoration is awarded to an individual who performs an outstanding deed or act of service to the security, prosperity, and national interest of the United States. American citizenship is not a requirement.
The Gold Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom are generally considered to carry the same level of prestige (though significantly fewer Gold Medals have been awarded). The chief difference between the two is that the Freedom Medal is personally awarded by the President of the United States (executive branch), and Congressional Gold Medals are awarded by acts of the Congress (legislative branch). Per committee rules, legislation bestowing a Congressional Gold Medal upon a recipient must be co-sponsored by two-thirds of the membership of both the House of Representatives and the Senate before their respective committees will consider it.
Since the American Revolution, Congress has commissioned gold medals as its highest expression of national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions. Each medal honors a particular individual, institution, or event. Although the first recipients included citizens who participated in the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Mexican-American War, Congress broadened the scope of the medal to include actors, authors, entertainers, musicians, pioneers in aeronautics and space, explorers, lifesavers, notables in science and medicine, athletes, humanitarians, public servants, and foreign recipients.
Bob Dylan has been among the pre eminent artists of the 20th and 21st centuries in the United States. His impact on popular culture particularly in song form, performance and the creation of highly personal songwriting which is simultaneously deeply linked to American folk music and popular arts is unique and worthy of this singular award.
Omar Khadr is a Canadian citizen who is currently being held at Guantanamo Bay. Khadr was fifteen years old at the time of his capture. He is currently the only Western detainee at Guantanamo Bay, as the Canadian government has refused to extradite him. He is on trial for crimes that he allegedly committed at the age of 15.
New videos have come to light that illustrate the serious mistreatment that Khadr has faced while in Guantanamo.
WE NEED URGENT HELP!!!
Plan To Euthanize Horses Spurs Debate
RENO, Nev. (July 7) - Animal rights activists and ranchers are clashing over a federal proposal to euthanize wild horses as a way to deal with their surplus numbers.
Horse advocates will mount a campaign against the proposal announced late last month by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, said Chris Heyde, deputy director of government and legal affairs for the Animal Welfare Institute based in Washington, D.C.
Federal officials said they're faced with tough choices because wild horses have overpopulated public lands in the West and they no longer can afford to care for the number of animals that have been rounded up.
But Heyde maintained the agency is seeking a "magic bullet" for budget problems caused after it began rounding up the mustangs at an unprecedented rate in recent years.
He said the roundups left too many horses for the public to adopt, requiring the agency to contract for more private long-term holding facilities.
The proposal "is killing pure and simple to balance the books for an agency whose reckless management has caused immeasurable harm to a national treasure at considerable cost to the American taxpayer," Heyde said.
Ron Cerri, of the Rebel Creek Ranch in Orovada and president-elect of the Nevada Cattlemen's Association, said ranchers would prefer horses be adopted but euthanasia may be necessary to keep their numbers down.
"Unfortunately, it's something they'll have to consider," Cerri said. "I don't know of another solution."
Cerri criticized the federal agency's proposal to stop roundups of wild horses to save money. Ranchers view mustangs as competition for forage on the range.
"That would be really unfortunate," he said. "We're starting to get close to what's called `appropriate management levels' of wild horses on the range. If we stop the roundups, that number will blow up again."
There are an estimated 33,000 wild horses in 10 Western states. About half of those are in Nevada.
The agency has set a target appropriate management level of horses at 27,000. About another 30,000 horses are in holding facilities, where most are made available for adoption.
Last year about $22 million of the entire horse program's $39 million budget was spent on holding horses in agency pens. Next year the costs are projected to grow to $26 million with an overall budget that is being trimmed to $37 million.
Lacy Dalton, president and co-founder of the Let 'Em Run Foundation horse advocacy group, urged the agency to consider alternative solutions.
They include efforts to step up birth control and legislation to provide tax breaks to large landowners willing to let horses roam on their property, she said.
"The American people have spoken - they want to preserve these wild horses," said Dalton.
"They are symbolic of the wildness and freedom and independent spirit of the West. We need to find ways to save them without being a burden on taxpayers," she added.
Agency officials said they stepped up the roundups in recent years because of ongoing drought that has left dwindling forage and water for the mustangs. Horse advocates insist the action was taken to placate ranchers.
The Bureau of Land Management's announcement marked the first time the agency publicly has discussed the possibility of putting surplus animals to death. Congress unanimously passed the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act to protect the animals.
It is September now yet I have heard nothing back from the BLM. I have gotten in cotnact with some personal connections to equine groups to see if there is any news. So please KEEP SIGNING!