|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - marriage act
Noting the following:
- that marriage is currently defined in the Marriage Act (1961) as being ‘... the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life,’ each element of which is essential to the integrity of marriage;
- that marriage is one of the great institutions on which our society is built;
- that marriage provides for a stable family life;
- that marriage is the structure under which children are nurtured and grow the best; and
- that marriage is worthy of protection and support.
We, citizen in NSW, the undersigned, want gay marriage to be legal in Australia. Under the Commonwealth Marriage Act 1961, it contains no actual definition of marriage. And now the government will amend the Marriage Act, which opposed to recognize same-sex marriages inside Australia or registered marriage in overseas. In addition, under the Family Law Act, the government will also legislate to oppose same sex couples adopting children.
People should have right to marry the one they love. It is human rights to choose their own lifestyle to live. Homosexual is different from heterosexual. Even though homosexual and heterosexual are not the same, homosexual is not abnormal. We, as citizen, as human being, should not prejudice people who have sexual attraction only to people of the same sex.