|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - environment
Honey Bee populations all over the world are mysteriously dying and scientists do not understand why. There are many theories ranging from microbes, pesticides, genetically modified crops, to cell phones, to mites, to radiation not to mention water and air pollution. Why are so few concerned by this??
Bees are responsible for the production of a large majority of our food crops. WE EAT VEGGIES BECAUSE OF BEES!!!
Albert Einstein predicted that if something eliminated bees from our planet, mankind would soon perish.
We need to raise awareness of this problem - WHY ARE THE BEES DYING? The Honey Bee feeds the entire world and The Honey Bee is in trouble. All over the world they are dying from unknown causes (Colony Collapse Disorder). There are many theories but we just don't know. Some sources suggest that up to 70 percent of the food crops are pollinated by Honey Bees!!
If the honey bee Dies, There will be BILLIONS more starving people!
I propose that the Govenment of Canada, Canada and the people therein recognize May 29, 2010 as the first annual "National day of the Honey Bee" to help raise awareness of CCD.
This is a petition for abolishing the law in Venice (Italy) that forbids people to feed pigeons in the WHOLE city and if one is caught throwing crumbs to the birds is fined. The Venetian community has also ordered the killing of hundreds of pigeons.
The purpose of this law is to reduce the number of pigeons in order to protect the historical monuments, but to reduce it by letting the pigeons die of starvation or by killing them is cruel and inhuman. The historical monuments could be protected in different ways, e.g. by fixing spines or wires on the buildings that prevent pigeons from perching on them and by cleaning the monuments regularly with water. Pigeons could also be fed with sterilizing medicines so that their number remained under control.
Regarding the common fears that pigeons could be dangerous for public health, expert vets (e.g. Enrico Moriconi, President ASVeP –Onlus – Cultural Veterinary Association for Public Health, Torino and Roberto Nisini, Superior Institute of Public Health, Rome) in their articles published on the internet prove that they pose absolutely no danger for public health.
The law against pigeons is based only on wrong preconceptions and a hatred for the birds which unfortunately is shared by many Italian people.
The target of this petition is to defend animal rights and abolish this harsh law. This law is unfair not only to animals but also to animal lovers who are punished for showing compassion to the birds by feeding them -in other words, for their acts of kindness and love. This is a law against PERSONAL FREEDOM as it does not allow people who love animals to practice their beliefs and express their good feelings towards birds. It is therefore against both ANIMAL AND HUMAN RIGHTS. The purpose of law is to eliminate evil, but instead of serving that purpose, the Venetian law in question incriminates innocent people and causes endless suffering to birds. In Venice there are not many trees and seeds so the birds cannot survive easily without the help of sensitive people.
Pigeons are the tamest and friendliest birds. They offer joy to many people, especially to old lonely people, tourists who feel welcomed by the friendly Venetian birds (which have been a tourist attraction for many years), and children who invite them to eat from their hands. Because of their innocence, pigeons are traditionally associated with peace and spirituality. During the world-wars they were also used for carrying important messages and saved the lives of many people.
These beautiful birds and the sensitive people who care for animals (which are weak and defenseless) deserve our help and support. This harsh law that is against animal and human rights should be abolished.
243. Save Teghut Forest
The Russian Bank VTB is Planning to fund the disastrous project of mine exploitation in Teghut, Armenia
The exploitation of the Teghut mine will have an immense negative effect on nature, life and health of the people of Armenia, as well as on the prospect of sustainable development for the country. The exploitation of this mine cannot be justified for any economic, social or environmental reasons.
Read more >>
Банк ВТБ собираетса профинансировать экологически бедственную программу по разработке и эксплуатации Техутского месторождения.
Разработка и эксплуатация Техутского месторождения будет иметь колоссальное отрицательное воздействие как на природу Армении, так и на жизнь и здоровье людей, и в следствие чего, на устойчивое развитие страны. Данная эксплуатация не выгодна не в экологическом, не в социальном и не в экономическом аспектах. Эксплуатация Техутского месторождения повлечет за собой:
Полный текст >>
ՎՏԲ-ն պատրաստվում է ֆինանսավորել Թեղուտի հանքավայրի շահագործման աղետաբեր ծրագիրը
Թեղուտի հանքավայրի շահագործումը հսկայական բացասական ազդեցություն կունենա Հայաստանի բնության, մարդկանց կյանքի և առողջության, ինչպես նաև երկրի կայուն զարգացման վրա: Այս հանքավայրի ներկայիս շահագործումն արդարացված չէ ո’չ բնապահպանական, ո’չ սոցիալական և ո’չ էլ նույնիսկ տնտեսական տեսանկյունից: Թեղուտի հանքավայրի ներկայիս շահագործումը նշանակում է`
Կարդալ ամբողջը >>
French company Saint Gobain have announced their intention to submit a planning application in 2010 to build between four and five thousand houses on the site of the now defunct iron works at Stanton-by-Dale in Derbyshire UK. In order to provide access to the development it is expected that they will also submit plans to build a road across the adjacent green belt, a small and fragile area of countryside much loved by people of the East Midlands and beyond.
If you share these views please sign below to indicate your support for our campaign to protect this irreplaceable local landscape and to obtain a more employment biased development both now and for future generations.
Save the Baltic Street Community Garden!
Stop the School Construction Authority (SCA) from bulldozing the Baltic Street Community Garden and replacing the century-old school bldg at PS 133 with a new massive building.
Construction for the proposed building at Baltic/Butler & 4th Av (5-story, 115,000 sqft) followed by the demolition of the current schoolhouse (46,000 sqft) will start as early as THIS SUMMER.
What Are the Impacts On Our Community?
- According to the SCA’s plan, the Baltic Street Community Garden will be demolished. The new building will cover the entire space of the current community garden, school yard, teacher parking, and half of the small children’s play area on Baltic St.
- The Baltic Street Community Garden has been in its current location for 26 years. The garden hosts a variety of trees, food crops, and flowers. See pictures of the garden at http://flatbushgardener.blogspot.com/2008/07/baltic-street-community-garden-park.html
- Concerned residents, parents and gardeners who object to the new school’s plan packed the Public Hearing session at the 78th Precinct. Since that time, no other public hearings have been held.
- Where the schoolhouse stands now will accommodate play areas for 900 students and a smaller community garden (the size will be less than half of the current one).
- The purpose of the plan is to help ease the overcrowding issue in prime Park Slope, which belongs to District 15. PS 133 is a District 13 school (Prospect Hts, Fort Green, Clinton Hill & Bed-Stuy). District 15 includes Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Wind-Terrace, Sunset Park, & Red Hook.
- There has been no posting by SCA at the Brooklyn Community Board 6 website to facilitate the information to the public.
Areas of Concern:
- How will the Baltic Street Community Garden survive?
- Why is the new school in this location? (District 15 includes Sunset Park, Red Hook, etc.)Why does it have to be so big?
- Lack of communication (The SCA has done no outreach for local home owners and tenants)
- Safety and health issues for the current PS133 students and area residents (air pollution and noise during/after construction & demolition, asbestos, lead, buses & cars idling, lack of play areas for children during construction)
- Lack of an environmental impact study for the affected area. How can the quality of our life be protected?
- Traffic, Parking Conflict, Garbage, Rodents will be tripled. Homeowners are also worried about possible building damage or weakening of their houses’ foundations due to the scale of the operation.
For more information, visit Community Board Six’s website: http://www.brooklyncb6.org (Look for upcoming announcements or calendar listings)
Trees provide a service to the life of all species on Earth. They are considered the lungs of our planet, and to some scientists now its heart as well. By continuing the rapacious rate of deforestation we are now sustaining globally we are contributing not only to the destruction of the natural beauty of our only home, but the exacerbation of CO2 levels that are contributing to the following effects of climate change that can be brought down to an acceptable level through the proper remediation process of providing carbon sinks:
1. Glacier melt causing floods, mudslides, and what is now considered a dangerous effect on water supplies for billions of people who depend on those glaciers for sustenance. Also, destruction of the Arctic ice caps at a rate three times faster than scientifically predicted by the IPCC which act as the mirror and climate balance of our planet. Without this mirror to reflect the rays of the sun we are risking passing what scientists call a "tipping point" of runaway climate change which will have catastrophic effects on this planet and our relationship to it.
2. Sea level rise due to melting ice caps and oversaturation of CO2 in our oceans. Forty eight islands have already seen the effects of sea level rise regarding destroying their homes, their traditions, and their ability to live. Many of these low lying islands are located in the Pacific and are only the first wave of islands and states to feel these effects. Scientists predict that within fifty years the Northeast coast of the United States may also be feeling these same effects due to sea level rise. If we do not curtail the rate of emissions of CO2 in our atmosphere to an acceptable level (350 PPM-450 PPM) we risk putting millions of people in danger of experiencing the same fate. Hundreds of millions of climate refugees would be catastrophic and cause the breakdown of society as we know it.
3. Wildfires due not only in part to normal conditions we see in certain areas yearly, but now more pervasive and destructive wildfires brought on by excessive drought. Scientists now predict that wildfires will become more intense and destructive as the world warms, which will then contribute to the greenhouse gases and lack of carbon sinks that precipitate climate change.
These factors along with other factors such as species invasion, species extinction, change in rainfall patterns which affect agriculture and food production, and evaporation of soil moisture and lower water tables in many rivers around the world must now lead us to formulating solutions that are timely, simple, economically viable, and that can improve the climate balance of our planet as well as provide much needed nutrients for our soil, water, food, sustenance, shelter, and a way to fight deforestation.
THE STATUTORY REGULATION (SR) OF PRACTITIONERS OF TRADITIONAL HERBAL MEDICINE AND CHANGES TO MEDICINE'S BILL.
The Government wish to further regulate Herbalists by bringing them under state control, protecting both the function and title of a Herbalist. Alongside this regulation they wish to change the Herbal Medicine laws again to prevent anyone, other than a state regulated herbalist (or possibly other health professional), from prescribing herbs. This, coupled with a previous change to our herbal medicine laws, will take Herbal Medicine away from the people, with state regulated Herbalists and pharmaceutical companies claiming Herbal Medicine as their own.
The reasons given for state control of Herbalists are to ensure the public’s safety and in the EU, fair competition. The Government claims to regulate only where there is a proven risk, yet several requests to demonstrate the ‘risk’ that Herbalists pose have not resulted in any information being forthcoming. Indeed, it has been claimed that this proof is not available. However, there is plenty of evidence about the risk of modern regulated medical practice and regulated pharmaceutical drugs.
The majority of people have lost faith in the Government’s ability to act in an efficient, trustworthy and caring fashion. The overall impression of most people, is a government- created society, where economics and targets take precedence over morals, ethics, community and wellbeing. How can we trust our Government with our Ancient Indigenous Tradition, our health, our wellbeing and our environment?
I am a qualified Independent Herbalist who, alongside many others, opposes the current regulatory proposals. I trained with The School of Phytotherapy, over 10 years ago, to Honours degree level, and I left the National Institute of Medical Herbalists a few years ago due to their support for Statutory Regulation. I hope to be able to continue to practise Herbal Medicine in the true and respected manner of our predecessors, which has been safe and effective for countless generations. It is my belief that the current proposals are unacceptable and will do nothing to protect the public from what is already a safe medical model, only create a bureaucratic paper exercise costing considerable sums of money, while destroying the Traditional Medicine of the British Isles and Europe.
In summary, these are the problems that I foresee will result from Statutory Regulation:
1. There is no evidence that statutory regulation of health professionals ensures public safety. In fact there is a growing evidence base suggesting that the contrary is in fact true.
2. Herbal Medicine and Herbalists were and are, contrary to popular comment, regulated in many ways, mainly to ensure we are safe, honest and law abiding in our practises. Stories from the press, government and MHRA about problems with Herbal Medicine are blamed on lack of regulation, yet most, if not all the cases broke current laws. Regulation clearly does not stop those determined to break the law, as we so often see in our society.
3. Herbal Medicines will be increasingly made by modern, highly processed methods, often by the big national and multinational pharmaceutical companies, who will be able to fund the new licensing laws, unlike the small cottage industries which currently manufacture Herbal products. These preparations manufactured by the pharmaceutical companies are often non traditional, therefore do not have any traditional evidence of safety and are biased towards making profits, rather than peoples well being. The consequences of making Herbal preparations in this way and with profit as the main drive are likely to be dire for both the public and our environment. The Traditional Herbal Medicines Directive has already been put into UK law and is set to remove a number of valuable Herbal Medicines from our shelves in 2011 due to huge costs and arguably, unnecessary criteria. At a time when our environment needs serious consideration and respect, simple, traditional, indigenous Herbal Medicines can satisfy many needs effectively, having a much smaller footprint on the environment than other health treatments. We must not forsake our simple, locally grown, native, traditional Herbal preparations for fashionable “Wonder Herbs” that are highly processed, licensed at a huge cost and then sold for extortionate amounts. All Herbs are wonderful and effective in their simplest form when used wisely.
4. Statutory Regulation will increase the cost to the State Regulated Herbalist and therefore increase the cost to the patient.
5. Many experienced, highly qualified Herbalists are likely to refuse to become statutory regulated on moral grounds, either leading to a reduction in available experienced Herbalists or Herbalists being forced to work illegally.
6. A number of good, experienced Herbalists may be denied statutory regulation, not having undergone a course deemed acceptable to the regulatory body. Modern degree courses being currently offered by many universities do not necessarily equate with the best training, many becoming increasingly dominated by modern, mainstream medicine and science at the expense of our Traditional Knowledge.
7. An increased influence from modern, mainstream science and medicine, affecting our training, our practise and our development, has caused a reduction in real choice and diversity. This situation is likely to create an unnecessary complexity and fear of Herbal Medicine, much of which has been used for thousands of years, both as food and medicine, accessible to everyone, either via a Herbalist or by growing the Herbs oneself.
8. Any Herbalist who refuses or is refused statutory regulation will not legally be able to continue treating their patients, putting their patient’s health at risk and denying their patients the right to choose their own Herbalist.
9. An undermining of our Traditional Knowledge, which has been used effectively for thousands of years before the development of pharmaceuticals, has taken place. Currently in favour is ‘scientific’ research that is often bad science, misleading, funded by pharmaceutical companies and at best only a small insight into the use of Herbs.
10. Voluntary Self Regulation, as practised by certain bodies of Western Herbal practitioners, has been safe, effective and of minimum cost.
In my experience people choose to come and see a Herbalist for a variety of reasons; a) They wish to use natural medicines believing them to be less likely to do harm than pharmaceutical drugs b) Mainstream medicine cannot help them c) They have been harmed in some way by mainstream medicine and have lost all faith in it. d) Having used Herbal Medicine in the past and know that they are very effective e) The care and time that they receive from a Herbalist assists their path back to health f) Our alternative philosophy about health.
The process towards SR has had little input from the vast majority of Herbalists. A very small number of Herbalists lobbied Government for state regulation in the early ‘90’s, believing that it would increase our status and perhaps enable work within the NHS. Both in Europe and UK, the pharmaceutical giants have heavily influenced the regulation of Herbalists and Herbal Medicine.
For further information please go to, SAVE OUR HERBS; THE CAMPAIGN FOR PROTECTION OF HERBAL MEDICINE http://www.saveourherbs.org.uk
The UK legislative provisions for herbal medicines are to be found in, the Medicines Act 1968, Section 12, paragraphs 1 & 2, and Section 56, paragraphs 1 & 2. Traditional Herbal Medicines Registration Scheme (UK law introduced to follow EU Directive 2004/24/EC)
Section 12(1) specifies exemption for herbal medicines from licensing provided that they are supplied subsequent to private personal consultation. Section 12(2) exempts herbal medicines provided that they are produced according to standard traditional, non-industrial methods. It also specifies that no written claims may be made for the use of the remedy. Section 12(2) is set to be abolished in 2011, being replaced by the Traditional Herbal Medicines Registration Scheme (30.5.05)
Section 56 reiterates and expands upon the provisions of 12(1). In addition, Statutory Instrument 2130 1977 lists several herbs "in respect of which the exemptions conferred by section 56(2) do not have effect". This removed the herbs so identified from general sale and specified that they may only be prescribed on consultation, or supplied under the supervision of a pharmacist. This list also specifies maximum permitted doses and daily doses for those herbs.
Other laws that protect the public from unscrupulous practice are covered under relevant laws for example; Common Law, Herbalist’s Act 1542 (The Statutes Law Revision Act 1948), Prohibited Appellations – Misrepresentation Act 1967 and Trade Descriptions Act 1969.
http://www.ehtpa.eu/pdf/steeringgroup/steering_group_report_16june08.pdf The Steering Group Report, May 2008
The City of Kingston will only recycle #1 plastics that have screw top lids, they do not recycle "clam shell" like #1 plastics, which would include egg cartons, berry containers, spinach / lettuce containers.
This is a direct quote from the city of Kingston's website,"Plastics that are marked #1 and do not use screw top lids (like the "clamshell" containers used for eggs, deli product and muffins) should go in with your regular garbage.
To continue to reduce the amount of plastic going to landfill, check the plastic content of a container before you buy it and avoid buying #1 plastics without screw tops."
Why should Kingstonians be forced to stop purchasing a food item because the city refuses to recycle this plastic? The items are of a recyclable nature and therefore Kingston should be recycling them in order to reduce their environmental impact.
The City of Kitchener targets Kiwanis Park to be declared "surplus land" and sold for development. Jeff Willmer, Interim Director of Planning was quoted in The Record, March 14, 2009 "The development of the sites would create jobs and generate tax revenue." Willmer goes on to say "These pieces of land really are not needed to meet a need, there is no gap in the supply of park land." Pieces of land?
This 'piece of land' is not for sale! This park, this natural haven is for treasuring, for walking, for swimming, for picknicking, for canoeing, for reading, for skiing, for kite flying, for skating, for jogging, for cycling, for birdwatching, for meditating, for playing. for fishing, for me, for you, for everyone but never, ever for sale.
Kiwanis Park is in desperate need of protection now.
Fortunately, Kiwanis Park has a friend in Councillor John Gazzola. Quoted in the same article he states "I am opposed to selling any park land. It makes no sense. You've got to look down the road 100 years from now. Once that park land is gone you are never going to get it back."
Fortunately, Kiwanis Park has a lot of friends, but the Park can't speak for itself. It needs your voice. We have created this petition as a tool to help us raise a clear and strong voice that tells the City of Kitchener that Kiwanis Park is "NOT FOR SALE!"
Please add strength to our petition and assist us to strategize by adding a comment with your signature. Thank you Friend of Kiwanis Park.
I am blessed to live in a beautiful neighbourhood, a peninsula with a hill surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, lots of trees, many wild living animals, peacocks, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, skunks of course and many more.
Two days ago I came home and noticed an Animal Control truck stopping behind my car in front of a neighbour’s home. The Animal Control officer took a cage and went into the home’s back yard. Shortly after he came back out with a little squirrel in the cage. Out of curiosity and because my inner voice told me to, I asked the officer, why he had the squirrel in the cage. This is what he told me:
The woman living on this property trapped the animal, because she was bothered by it. She then called Animal Control to send a truck for the pick up of this little critter. At this point I had to ask, what would happen to the squirrel now and was then told, that it would be brought to the Animal Control station to be put down.
I took a deep breath and asked if there was anything wrong with the squirrel, maybe it was sick or so. The officer then said, that there was nothing wrong with it, the woman just did not want the squirrel in her back yard and so, according to Los Angeles County policies, it had to be put down. I looked at the woman still waiting to see the animal go and she quickly closed her gate.
At this point I did what I had to do and started negotiating for the poor squirrel’s life. If this officer wouldn’t have released the squirrel in a park in the neighbourhood, I may have ended up in a straight jacket that evening. This lucky squirrel is still alive today but many other wild living animals, trapped by mean and selfish residents, who obviously still don’t understand the importance of a healthy ecosystem, are not anymore.
Thanks to the City of Palos Verdes, California, which allows residents to trap wild living animals. L.A. County offers support by renting traps to people for a fee, which also includes education and training on how to trap wild living animals properly. People then call Animal Control, they come, pick up, take along and kill.
A decision of the Board of Supervisors of L.A. County and the permission to trap make it possible.
We desperately try to save this planet and an ecosystem, which can collapse at any minute and this country fights the worst economy since the last depression.
And here Los Angeles County pays to kill wild animals that have done nothing wrong, not hurt anyone and are no danger to anybody - just because these animals are unfortunate to call their home some mean resident’s back yard, who has nothing better to do than to destroy our environment. Squirrels too are part of a sensitive ecosystem and so are raccoons, opossums, skunks, rattlesnakes, insects and many others.
California is bankrupt and our tax money is spent on Animal Control officers, having to go, get and kill. Did the L.A. Board of Supervisors get too much of the Californian sun before they came up with this?
I intend to fight this insanity, if you agree with me, please help and sign.
You can also help by investigating your own City/County’s policies to find out, if there are more such rules in other places. Together we can make a difference. It may take an effort and it may be inconvenient, but it is worth it. Not acting and accepting a madness like this is not an option for me. Hopefully it is not an option for you either.
Let’s get the ball rolling!
Permaculture Education Zone (PEZ) is a not-for-profit association that educates people about sustainability concepts. PEZ will operate from a garden and sustainable living demonstration site, as well as from school classrooms and other educational venues.
Adelaide will be a resilient city, having increased its resource efficiency, reduced its ecological footprint and empowered its citizens throughout all suburban communities by achieving local food security.
To foster community engagement in local food production and sustainable living through permaculture education
Opportunities and Benefits
• Adelaide does not currently have a city farm – unlike Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth – this project will bring Adelaide in line with a growing national interest in sustainability education and urban agriculture
• This project is an opportunity for Adelaide to showcase current ‘green’ products and services as well as facilitate the promotion of emerging sustainable living innovations
• Stakeholders in this project will be supporting ‘green’ businesses and demonstrating their interest in sustainability
• This project will be a mechanism for bringing together the wider community around a common theme – sustainability
• The community spirit generated by this project will help to increase general happiness and liveability in Adelaide
• This project will encourage greater public use of Adelaide’s Parklands, helping to maintain the Parklands as a public space free from development and alienation
• Establish a sustainability demonstration site that attracts both locals & tourists
• Foster creativity & innovation via art & garden design competitions
• Demonstrate energy efficiency & water-wise gardening practices
• Provide hands-on education in permaculture principles
• Empower people to grow their own food at home
• Produce an abundance of food from the garden
1. All the money in the world is VIRTUAL money, of no real consequence whatsoever (see the EcoTort website). Therefore there is no financial reason for anything. Eg, there is no financial reason why we cannot feed, clothe, house, & educate every person living on the Earth today, AND be 100% eco-responsAble too…!
2. Any contract to damage or destroy the environment is a contract to commit the most serious crime of “Aggravated Criminal Damage” to the environment (max Life Sentence, see the EcoTort website), and is therefore a void, unenforceable contract (which is based upon money which does not exist ! ).
3. According to UNiversal Law it is illegal to pay tax in ANY country of the world (see the EcoTort website) until the World’s Government(s) cease their criminal activities in allowing heinous environmental damage and destruction at present day UNprecedented levels; equivalent to a threat of war, and indeed being the single most likely cause of most conflict (armed and unarmed, domestic and international) in the World today.
4. AT LEAST 60% of everyones wages on the Earth is being collected by the elite bankers of the world, through interest payments on unenforceable contracts, to do with as they please; unelected, unrepresentative, unaccountable, and unacceptable! (see the EcoTort website).
5. Every Police officer promises to “protect life and property, and to uphold the Law”. The most serious threat to life and property, and the most serious breach of the Criminal Law are BOTH due to CRIMINAL environmental damage and destruction, for which the banking elites are demonstrably responsible (see the EcoTort website)..
6. The remedy is through a global implementalion of the principles of Permaculture (see the EcoTort website).
A. Companies and organizations use large amounts of energy and have large amounts of waste, and most to not recycle at all.
1. The Rockspace Green Survey polled 3000 of the vendor’s customers to gauge their attitudes toward their impact on the environment.
2. Sadly what it found was most say they care, but few were willing to absorb the costs to go green.
B. 48% of respondents said they are concerned and looking for ways to reduce the impact of their company has on the environment.
1. That is a 12 point increase from last year. Only 9%indicatied that green vendors are central to their organization.
2. 71% said that they would have chosen the green vendor if the money was the same.
255. Alive Utrish
The environmental movement and Ecological Watch on North Caucasus (EWNC), «Alive Utrish», Greenpeace of Russia, WWF of Russia and the International Socio-Ecological Union collect electronic signatures under the open Internet reference to the President of Russia, the Government of the Russian Federation, and the heads of Administration of Krasnodar Territory and the cities of Anapa, Novorossiysk and Gelendzhik about taking effective measures on preservation of the unique natural complexes of subtropical Mediterranean-type forests, located at the Black Sea coast of Russia, including the prohibition of any construction in the territory of these natural systems and the earliest performance of the order of the Government of the Russian Federation № 725-r about the creation of the reserve «Utrish».
- the only typical Eastern Mediterranean landscape at the Black sea cost, which preserved well,
- the habitat of more than 60 species of plants and animals listed in the Red Book of Russia, for many of which it is the only habitat in the territory of our country,
- the seat of growth of relic trees aged up to 600 years,
- the last well-preserved, thanks to its remoteness from major settlements and highways, corner of nature at the Russian Black Sea coast in the extent about 12 km.
In December 2008, in violation of Russian legislation, the construction of a road through the reserve to the Black Sea coast began, destroying on the way the relic juniper, pistachio and other trees. The part of the coast is leased and it is planned to start construction on it. It will destroy the eco-system of Big Utrish and will make impossible the performance of the governmental order of the Russian Federation about creating a reserve in this territory.
Only owing to efforts of ecologists who have organized in Utrish a camp of public resistance and have blocked the way for the machines, the construction of the road has been stopped. However Utrish is still in danger and the constructors can return at any moment. Your voice can help to save its nature.
Deforestation in Madagascar is a very important issue which can not be put off or ignored because if this happens all of the rainforests in Madagascar will be gone within the next 40 years.
Currently 90% of the rainforests in Madagascar have already been destroyed because of logging, slash and burn agriculture, mining, etc. Madagascar is also home to hundreds of endemic species found no where else on earth, if the rainforests are all cut down then many endangered species will also go extinct.
The school of George Washington Middle School is one of the many middle schools all over the globe that use styrofoam trays at lunchtime. These trays are recyclable but none of the students bother to put the trays in the recycling bins that are already full of empty bottles and cans and are way to small to fit the trays too.
The styrofoam is not biodegradable and will stay in the landfills for a while and that is not right! The school needs to change!
The world uses between 500 billion and 1.2 trillion plastic bags a year and about 96.5% of all plastic made is not recycled. And when it is thrown away it gets taken to landfills where it is squashed into the ground.
Plastic is not bio-degradeable and can take anywhere from 500-1000 years to break down and when it does finally break down in landfills it does so anaerobically and breaks down into smaller toxic particles which contaminate the soil, waterways and oceans. This also causes methane to be produced which is a potent greenhouse gas that damages the atmosphere.
Plastic does not only damage the environment but also the marine wildlife. It is estimated that the oceans contain just over 100 million tonnes of plastic. Wildlife can get entangled in plastic leading to them starving or suffocating and it is often ingested by them and as a result they can choke to death. It is thought that about 100,000 seals, sea lions, whales, dolphins and other marine wildlife die each year as a result of plastic debris.
Paper bags are one alternative but the fact that paper uses up a lot more resources in its production than plastic is a problem. But paper is bio-degradeable and at present in the UK more paper bags are being recycled than plastic bags.
The best option for a retailer would be the bio-plastic bag. Bio-plastic is made from plants which are a renewable resource and it is 100% bio-degradeable. Also the process through which bio-plastic is made takes up less energy than conventional plastics and it is fully compostable.
The government and retailers themselves are not bringing about this change quick enough and although some supermarkets only give out plastic bags if you ask for them and places like Ireland have put a tax on plastic bags this is not enough as they will all still inevitably end up in landfills so plastic bags need to be gone altogether.
But it is still important that we re-use our bags as many times as possible and then recycle them. If you could please let as many people know about this petition as you can that would be great and I'm going to advertise it as much as possible. So please sign this petition if you agree and thanks for taking the time to read this.
If you want more information these are some good websites:
259. Save A Tree
The issue is that we are losing trees at a very fast pace. Without trees we can expect more runoffs of topsoil, the temperature of the earth to change, extinction of animals that rely on tree’s to live, and irregularities in the balance of carbon dioxide and oxygen.
Some might think that this won't affect us, but it can/will create a reaction on the earth that will affect other resources in the area. By saving the trees we are creating a better future for ourselves and our future children.
Curaçao’s refinery, Refineria Isla (Curaçao) BV, is the largest polluter of the Netherlands, the largest single polluter in Curaçao and probably the largest polluter in the European Community (EC).
The Netherlands and Curaçao governments turn a blind eye to the plea of 25,000 locals, who live under the worst circumstances, all this just to please PDVSA, Venezuela’s state refinery that operates this outdated oil factory. (1915).
They have a binding contract with the Curaçao government till 2019 unfortunately. This is the reason why MSi asks not to extend the contract beyond this date and to close the refinery at the end of the present contract period. Please take this decision NOW! This year! Don’t wait any longer. Not extending the contract and guaranteeing the closing in 2019 is a clear sign to developers. It will reduce our double digit unemployment immediately.
Meanwhile instruct and order PDVSA to operate according to our environmental laws. Check control and start measuring the emissions of CO2 output and if PDVSA can’t operate clean, levy heavy fines and close them down till they have cleaned up their act.
If PDVSA threatens to leave, let them leave. The waterfront property can be used for better and cleaner industry, generate 25 times more income than PDVSA is paying us now.
Curaçao receives no major benefits from the refinery. Get no riches. The population doesn’t even get quality products. PDVSA supplies the worst diesel. PDVSA pays a pittance in rent. (About 3.4 dollar cent/square feet/month).
The refinery once employed over 12,000 workers. Today less than thousand people find work in the refinery. Another 600 are employed by supply companies and contractors.
Pollution is deadly. A game only a few powerful people and handful corrupt officials play to fill their pockets. It benefits them, it benefits PDVSA, it benefits Venezuela, while our people in Curaçao starve and have to live with all kind of pollution related illnesses.
18 people die prematurely every year! 25,000 people live under the worst circumstances. High ranked Curaçao politicians are employed and paid by PDVSA.
Please give serious attention to the failure of our national refinery and our own government to comply with our environmental laws. Our government also fails to regulate and control the refinery. Refineria Isla has been demanded in court three times to clean up their act, but pollution continues to foul the air and threatens the health of neighborhoods west of the refinery. This has been going on for more than 20 years.
Fence communities like Habaai, Wishi, Marchena, Veeris and Buena Vista are home to many of our most neglected people. Our largest nursing home for the elderly is situated right under the smoke of the refinery. 6000 school children and teachers go to school under polluted smoke and gasses and have to endure foul smells to attend classes. Only when black clouds shoot excessive soot in the air, are these schools ordered to close.
People take great pride in the humble little homes they have built over the years with hard earned money. They can’t move. Children can’t go to other schools and the elderly have no choice. They are trapped and don't even know it. Nobody told them.
It is these communities that ask that the refining industry stop polluting the air immediately and stop releasing deadly gasses into the air. They ask YOUR help. PLEASE listen to them and act, even if it is far away from your home.
MSi (Fundashon Movementu Solushon Isla)
261. Stop The War
STOP THE WAR!..
ΝΑ ΣΤΑΜΑΤΗΣΕΙ Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ!..
LIGHT HUMANITY TOGETHER
ΦΩΤΙΣΜΕΝΗ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΤΗΤΑ ΜΑΖΙ!
"ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΜΟΝΟ ΜΙΑ ΦΥΛΗ
THERE IS ONLY ONE RACE
Η ΦΥΛΗ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ!
THE RACE OF MEN!
ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΜΟΝΟ ΕΝΑΣ ΘΕΟΣ
THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD
Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΓΑΠΗΣ!
THE GOD OF LOVE!
ΥΠΑΡΧΕΙ ΜΟΝΟ ΜΙΑ ΓΛΩΣΣΑ
THERE IS ONLY ONE LANGUAGE
Η ΓΛΩΣΣΑ ΤΗΣ ΚΑΡΔΙΑΣ!"
THE LANGUAGE OF HEART!
STOP THE WAR NOW!..
262. Stop Global Warming
Climate change may be a big problem, but there are many little things we can do to make a difference. If we try, most of us can do our part to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases that we put into the atmosphere. Many greenhouse gases come from things we do every day. As we have learned, these greenhouse gases trap energy in the atmosphere and make the Earth warmer.
Driving a car or using electricity is not wrong. We just have to be smart about it.Some people use less energy by carpooling. For example, four people can ride together in one car instead of driving four cars to work. Here are some additional ways you can help make the planet a better place!
Learning about the environment is very important. There are many good books that will help you learn. To get started, ask a teacher or a librarian for some suggestions. You also can look at the Links page to find other good web sites with information about the environment and climate change.
Whenever we use electricity, we help put greenhouse gases into the air. By turning off lights, the television, and the computer when you are through with them, you can help a lot.
Bike, Bus, and Walk
You can save energy by sometimes taking the bus, riding a bike, or walking.
Talk to Your Family and Friends
Talk with your family and friends about climate change. Let them know what you've learned.
Planting trees is fun and a great way to reduce greenhouse gases. Trees absorb carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, from the air.
Recycle cans, bottles, plastic bags, and newspapers. When you recycle, you send less trash to the landfill and you help save natural resources, like trees, oil, and elements such as aluminum.
When You Buy, Buy Cool Stuff
There are lots of ways we can improve the environment. One of the ways to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases that we put into the air is to buy products that don't use as much energy. By conserving energy, we help reduce climate change and make the Earth a better place. Some products – like certain cars and stereos – are made specially to save energy.
Some Things to Think About
Did you know that you can help the environment if you buy recyclable products instead of non-recyclable ones? Look for the recycle mark – three arrows that make a circle – on the package. Recyclable products are usually made out of things that already have been used. It usually takes less energy to make recycled products than to make new ones. The less energy we use, the better.
Imagine that it's a hot summer day. You put a scoop of ice cream on the sidewalk, and it melts. Why? Well, you probably know that the sun causes the ice cream to melt. But you may not know that the sun produces solar energy. Solar energy is a fancy way of saying "energy that comes from the sun." Solar energy can be used to heat homes, buildings, water, and to make electricity. Today, more than 200,000 houses in the United States take advantage of the sun's energy.
Cars are an important part of life for most people. But cars also cause pollution and release a lot of greenhouse gases into the air. Fortunately, there are some cars that are better for the environment. These cars can travel longer on a smaller amount of gasoline. They don't pollute as much, either. Using these kinds of cars can help reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the air.
Many things, like computers, TVs, stereos, and VCRs, have special labels on them. The label says "Energy" and has a picture of a star. Products with the ENERGY STAR® label are made to save energy. Buying products with ENERGY STAR® labels will help protect the environment.
Climate change is the challenge of our generation. A challenge that will define our legacy. This is the moment to meet it. For our leaders to represent us and our children to respect us.
Adding your voice to this petition will help sway the decision towards a sustainable future. We'll deliver it, amplified, to the negotiating table in Copenhagen on the 30 November 2009.
Thank you and please pass this on to your friends.
Last year Belgrade started with unique ecological project: “Save Christmas trees”. Namely, we recognize terrible fact: millions of Christmas trees are being killed every year, in the name of Christmas. For example just in our capitol Belgrade last year we devastated one half of million Christmas trees. Unbelievable! In the name of Jesus, we are killing the planet !
We started to think how to solve this problem and we (NGO Return beauty to the rivers) started with realization of a marvelous idea (originally made by Vesna De Vinca).
Our idea is to teach kids how to educate their parents to buy Christmas tress with root, how to give water and nourish them during Christmas days, and after Christmas holidays are over, how to plant them together, making a new park. So instead of tree cemeteries, we will have in the cities wonderful new parks, and children playgrounds.
But above all we are teaching children how to start a new year, with a wonderful new energy by planting every year a new Christmas tree, and also celebrate life together!
That’s why when we finished planting, we organized a performance: a small concert of children quire, special children karate exercise, a famous singers... Then we invited everybody to send wonderful emotion to the planet for one minute! And most important for the beginning, everything was covered by every TV station, and newspapers in Serbia. We had enormous, unexpected media coverage.
NGO Return beauty to the rivers, Belgrade, Serbia; Media Education Centre (International Organization), Media Laboratory (Belgrade, Serbia) with EKO Portal Stari Grad; International Youth Media Summit, Centre International du Film pour l'Enfance et la Jeunesse and many other organizations like to invite all of you to support our movement and to help us to safe us much is possible Christmas Trees. And not just Christmas trees! We have to safe every tree in the Planet.
SAVE THE PLANET - PLANT A TREE
More about our other activities you can find at our web sites and portals:
And we will have leave streaming in real time from SAVE THE PLANET - PLANT A TREE
CHRISTMAS TREES performance:
3rd of January 2010 at 12:00 (Belgrade time). If you like to screen video clips please find link to our BELGRADE CALLING TV at www.roamingreporters.net/BelgradeCalling
The area of land at between Tyson Road and Honor Oak Rd in Forest Hill should not be developed into flats. We think that this wild area is a valuable area of natural beauty and important for Forest Hill in retaining it’s biodiversity.
This open green space is extensively wooded and has many old trees under preservation orders. This area is one of the oldest and most established green sites in Honor Oak as it was once a Georgian garden. To retain the character and identity of Forest Hill, we are strongly opposed to the devastation of this area, which as an open space enhances the standard of living of residents in the area, not to mention the many schools and resident families surrounding the site.
We have seen the proposed plans and architect’s model of the flats and in my opinion, the development is unnecessarily large, over-dense and ambitious for the size of the site. This can only lead to a feeling of over-cramped living conditions in the local area. The existence of a 77 space car park will generate traffic problems in an already busy area, not to mention an increase of cars in a dangerous road with two schools.
The scale of the development is completely inappropriate for the area: the height of the buildings will completely compromise residents’ privacy and disrupt many currently beautiful views of Victorian and Georgian buildings and trees. The nature of the development is such that we feel it will cause total disruption in the area, not only to residents, but more importantly to the abundant nature in this spot.
Please object to the Council by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 08/70207 in the subject line, and include your name and address.
More info on the application is here
Jerrys Plains is a beautiful and historic farming community located in the Hunter Valley, NSW. 'Jerrys' has a unique combination of wineries, horse studs, beef cattle and lucerne farming, in addition to being located at the foothills of the world heritage listed Wollemi National Park.
Coal mining companies Wambo, Resco and Doyles Creek Mine have announced plans to mine Jerrys Plains and surrounding areas of Appletree Flat and Doyles Creek.
Coal mining threatens to destroy forever the social fabric of Jerrys, in addition to the irreversible environmental destruction and decimation of its existing valuable food growing areas through loss of underground water, land clearing and mine subsidence.
Please sign and forward on to demonstrate your support for these basic, but necessary national priorities for Barack Obama's presidency.
The objective of this petition is to organize citizens who support Stephen R. Carpenter's position of saving human life support systems, emphasize the urgency of the situation to the Obama administration and draw attention to the seemingly unnoticed 1,300 leading scientists' Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Reports (www.MAweb.org).
Names will be submitted to President-Elect Obama promptly with a copy of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Reports (www.MAweb.org) already donated by Island Press.
This letter is used with permission of Stephen R. Carpenter.
The highway congestion from the Fraser Valley to Vancouver during rush hour is a terrible state of affairs. The pollution caused and time lost by thousands of workers stuck in traffic, is a problem that needs to be addressed. A frequently running commuter train is the easiest answer to this.
In the 1950s there was an existing passenger trainline that ran from Abbotsford to Vancouver, and as traffic becomes worse and the environmental condition worsens, it is time that money be invested to re-instate such transport.
The West Coast Express only operates five trains during weekday peak periods and it is simply not enough and does not offer the convenience of commuter trains in the United Kingdom or Europe, of running regularly and everyday. The stations are only convenient for a minority of people and there needs to be a more comprehensive service.
Studies show that people who use public transport, such as trains and buses, to commute to work have less stress in their lives, and have more time to spend with their families and loved ones. The price of travel is less than constantly filling a fuel tank and maintaining a vehicle. Businesses lose less employee time due to traffic reasons and commuter problems. The environmental impact of running one train versus many individual vehicles is far less. In summation, a commuter train from the Fraser Valley into Vancouver makes economic, environmental, business, and social sense.
To contact the Ministry directly:
LOWER MAINLAND DISTRICT
200-1065 Columbia Street
New Westminster, V3M 6H7
Operational Program Manager,
Sea-to-Sky and Upper Levels
45890 Victoria Avenue
Chilliwack BC V2P 2T1
Therefore there is no reason that a commuter train should not be established.
269. Save Carr House
Carr House is a historic rural building which has been repaired in a environmentally responsible way. It is ‘Off-Grid’, generating its own energy, and could provide affordable housing to local people.
Eden District Council has ruled to disallow planning permission at Carr House and enforce its partial demolition. The Council’s and Planning Inspector’s rulings indicate that both the current and emerging planning policy framework is worded and/or interpreted in a way which prevents sensible proposals like Carr House.
We consider that Eden District Council’s LDF Documents, including the Core Strategy which is currently out for consultation, should be amended to make clear that proposals like Carr House are supported by policy and the Council.
You can read more about Carr House and the Planning Application at http://www.edenrecycling.co.uk/?Eco_Living_-%26nbsp%3BCarr_House
You can read about the Council’s Core Strategy Development Plan at
This petition is to voice frustration and anger by the general public concerning the lack of availability of biodegradable plastic garbage bags and other plastic containers for purchase in major grocery and retail chains throughout the world.
Knowing that the pollution caused by these plastics is an ever growing threat to the health of the planet and the worlds oceans and wildlife.
Recently there were several stories reported in the news about a debris field of plastic garbage in the Pacific Ocean which is now the size of the state of Texas!!!!
This is unacceptable and is horrendous environmental tragedy.