|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - census
I ask that the Government release the 1921 census as soon as possible and that census release dates are reduced to 90 years instead of 100.
Why should we have to wait 100 years from when the census was taken?
The Government have had doubts before whether to release census records early due to privacy of people's information etc.
Releasing the census early won't really make a difference on privacy, to those who it would affect (a small minority) the difference would be small. The only information we can obtain is where an individual lived and who with plus a few additional pieces of information such as age and place of birth.
We can already obtain BMD records and some parish records for free. Also a quick free search on 192.com can show us who is living with who.
Having access to the 1921 census would be very valuable to family historians, genealogists alike as it is the last major census as the 1931 census was destroyed and 1941 census didn't take place apart from some localised censuses.
The Harper government is moving to eliminate the Canada census long form questionnaire and replace it with a voluntary survey. The long form was sent to 20% of households and is a critical source of information about diversity, employment, income, education and other characteristics of Canadians. It is essential to business, research, planning and good public policies and programs. Stakeholders ranging from the business community, to university researchers to social justice advocates are raising their voices to oppose this move.
Le gouvernement Harper entend supprimer le questionnaire long du prochain recensement et le remplacer par une enquête à participation volontaire. Le questionnaire long est une source d’information inestimable pour les affaires, la recherche et l’évaluation des programmes et des politiques.
People around the country have gotten a rude surprise since early April with the arrival of Census workers carrying GPS units. Their job is to record the exact longitude and latitude location of the "front door" of every home in America within a 40 foot range of error.
Census has refused to offer any explanation for why this was not announced. The census is taken every ten years. The next one is supposed to be in 2010. This is 2009. There is NO FEDERAL STATUTORY AUTHORITY for what they are doing. They have cited none, because none exists. But they are quick to threaten American citizens with punishment if they do not cooperate.
Instead, they play word games to their advantage for their nefarious purposes.
This conduct is typical of this administration. In typical Chicago thug style, they push people around and have no problem breaking laws themselves. They feel no responsibility to you the American citizen who pays their bills. All take and no give.
Moreover, their false promises about protecting this information is one big lie. There have been too many stories of hackers breaking into and otherwise acquiring huge amounts of sensitive government information. This kind of data, in the wrong hands could be devastating to numerous individuals in this country. It must be stopped now.
Two things need to happen. This illegal GPS census must stop and all collected data must be turned over and destroyed. They are breaking the law and they know it by being so secretive and unresponsive to our demands. So, they must be stopped: By petition, by protests, by shouting at our representatives, and by law.
Despite what they say, they have no right to be on your property. The federal government has made unconstitutional assertions for decades. The same is true here.
So, if you are as alarmed as other Americans, please sign this petition, as well as contacting your representatives and seeking out lawyers to file suit to stop this illegal GPS census.
The last traditional census was taken over twenty years ago. The forms were detailed and lengthy. We, the undersigned, believe that a new form of the traditional census should be resurrected.
I am writing you in response to your criticism over the Government of Macedonia's latest action against the Albanian terrorists (i.e. as you refer to them as "armed rebels and extremists"). Your "disappointment" on how the latest crisis around Aracinovo was handled, had particularly provoked me to express MY bitterness and deep disappointment regarding the following:
1. I am very disappointed to hear that your excellencies have been disturbedby the fact that the Government of Macedonia had to take decisive action against armed groups who threaten the people of Macedonia and use weapons as a tool to legitimize themselves and their actions (often later acting as "the victims themselves"); furthermore, I am equally disappointed by the actions of the Swedish security forces (Sweden is currently presiding
with the EU) against peace protesters in Gothenburg during the EU Summit in mid-June.
2. I am very disappointed that your Excellencies have not taken into consideration the fact that all parties involved in the process of reconstructing Kosovo have failed to restore a lasting peace, law and order in the neighboring Yugoslav province of Kosovo, which permanently produces negative consequences for the peace and stability of the whole region(including the Republic of Macedonia).
3. Furthermore, I am very disappointed and disturbed to see lack of willingness by your respective governments to build multiethnic Kosovo, as previously pledged.
4. Many Macedonian citizens (despite of their ethnic or religious affiliation) are stunned by the fact that international humanitarian
organizations are vigorous only when it comes to helping unfortunate ethnic Albanians and neglecting the others in need.
5. I am alarmed to find out that you have FINALLY been disturbed by the crisis in Macedonia and kindly ask you to go back in time and figure out when was the exact and right time for you to be really upset!
6. I am disappointed to realize that you think it is the Macedonian
Constitution that generates the current crisis. I would kindly refer you to the Constitution of the neighboring Republic of Albania and ask you to read all of it (including its Preamble).
7. I am very disappointed that all of you failed to employ due diligence as you have done so during the peak of the current crisis and "discover" that there is no "Slav" majority - rather ethnic Macedonians and that there is no one third ethnic Albanian population in Macedonia - rather 22,9% according to the 1994 census, conducted (believe it or not) by The Council of Europe itself and its ICOM (International Census Observation Mission) in Macedonia led by Mr. Robert McMurray of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Certain Media based in your respective countries are still insulting a greater majority of the population by naming them "Slavs" which does not correspond to their true ethnic affiliation. We have never heard an affirmative comment from them talking about "citizens of Macedonia" if nothing else.
8. I am very disappointed that my country's name is still FYROM, thanks to your "proved" interest in defending and promoting fundamental human rights and freedoms (among those let me remind you about the freedom of expression and self-determination). In addition, I am insulted by the fact that the EU mission in Skopje represented by Mr. Teixeira is named the "Delegation of the European Commission to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, FYROM, Skopje"!
9. Let me remind you that you still have an ongoing obligation and a pledge to protect Macedonia and its borders particularly the volatile one with Kosovo), made in the eve of the NATO intervention against Yugoslavia. Kosovo's well being cannot be constructed on behalf of the misery of its neighbors, just for the sake of "showing its success story" which so far exists not.
10. I am very disappointed that some of your envoys are beginning to "shoulder" and chit chat with those who undeniably want the partition of my country. If that indeed is your last word on Macedonia also, then let us not waste more time and lives and let the demarcation begin immediately, rather than pressure for continuation of a political dialogue containing ridiculous
bargaining over rights and powers which involves parties who per se have no legitimate right to negotiate on such issues exclusively. If you all truly want the stability and the peace in this region your missionaries would at the moment be assisting the government rather than act as a "taxi-service" to all those who came in uninvited, to kill, threaten, block water supplies and force civilians to leave their homes and properties just because they do not fit into their xenophobic scenario and "cause".
11. Dear Excellencies, it is true Macedonia has little money to buy weapons and rockets, but when it comes to defending our values and freedom such money is well spent to our minds. Loyal citizens do not fear legitimate security forces. Criminals do!
12. Let me in the end express my hope that you will reconsider your position toward Macedonia and its certainly "imperfect" Government and convey a clear message of support to those of us who act and work toward further democratization and the European prospective of Macedonia. All those inspired by the "freedom fighters" clearly demonstrated fear and disbelieve in the European integration itself. I guess your Excellencies this is the last chance for you to decide are you going to give a credit to those who would rather stand on the demarcation line, than to those committed to pursue the way of the integration toward Europe, without alternatives and preconditions and no matter how hard and challenging it is.