|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
All Voters to Vote in Top Two Vote Getter Primary Elections
Petition Background (Preamble):
Let’s change the way voters and candidates come together at election time.
Florida Fair And Open Primaries is a Grass Roots Non-Partisan ALL Volunteer Organization that supports the addition of a constitutional amendment to the
2016 election ballot to change Florida primary elections from a Closed Political Party System to a Voter Nominated Top Two Open Primary System.
Imagine a primary election system where ALL candidates are listed on a single
ballot and ALL voters chose candidates from any party or no party. The Top Two
candidates in each race compete in the General Election.
The simple truth is that Voter Nominated Top Two Open Primaries:
• Give ALL Voters a Voice Where it Counts -- in a Primary Election
• Give Voice to over 2.9 million No Party Affiliation (NPA) & Minor Party voters
• Only use our Tax Dollars for Primaries where ALL Voters Can Participate
• Allow Candidates to Campaign on Ideas & Solutions, Not Party Ideologies
• Retain Party rights to associate and select candidates of their choice.
• Require Candidates to Listen to and Appeal to a Broader General Electorate
• Eliminate Spoiler Effect in General Election
Frequently Asked Questions
Which races would be affected by the amendment?
o State elective offices and federal offices; Presidential primaries unchanged
Is a top two primary election constitutional?
o YES – US Supreme Court ruled (7-2) in March 2008
How many states have a top two open primary?
o California, Washington, (Modified Top Two in Louisiana and Nebraska)
Won’t top two result in single party races?
o In three election cycles Washington State had < 8% single party races
Won’t minor parties suffer under a top two system?
o An all candidate primary draws attention to minor party candidates
o Minor parties have opportunity to build coalition voting blocks in primary
Who do I contact to get additional information?
o Ray Hudkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 850-346-5199
Currently in Florida
Florida and eighteen other states have Closed Primary Elections where only members of a political party may vote in their Party's primary. The taxpayers including the Independent Party, or those with No Party Affiliation (NPA), finance these primaries with taxpayer dollars. That means that 40+% of the US voters that are Independent/(NPA) become disenfranchised in primary elections. Yet they still have their taxes used to finance the elections of the Party that they have no say in which candidate should be selected/elected.
Polls show the number of Americans identifying as Independents or No Party Affiliation has surpassed that of Democrat or Republican. This disconnect-between the growing independence of the citizenry and the highly partisan nature of our governing process-is creating an unhealthy situation for our democracy.
We support and ask for your support of the Voter Nominated Top Two Open Primary Initiative as an important step towards transforming our political process and moving forward as a State and as a Nation.
We Thank You!
Florida Fair And Open Primaries
Go To: http://election.dos.state.fl.us/initiatives/fulltext/pdf/64632-1.pdf
Please Print Out and Sign The Petition
All Voters Vote, Inc.
PO Box 1225
Tallahassee, Fl. 32302
PLEASE MAKE 3 COPIES AND GIVE TO ANYONE YOU KNOW AND HAVE THEM DO THE SAME!
ALL VOTERS VOTE,INC. PETITION #15-04 for 2016 FLORIDA BALLOT
BALLOT TITLE: All Voters Vote in Top Two Vote Getter Primary Elections
BALLOT SUMMARY: Replaces closed political party primaries for congressional and state partisan elective offices with primaries where all qualified registered voters may vote regardless of party affiliation of the voter or candidate. Qualified candidates appear on one ballot. The top two vote getters per office advance to the general election, regardless of party affiliation. Candidates nominated by a party appear on the ballot as that party’s nominee; other candidates may indicate their party preference on the ballot.
ARTICLE AND SECTION BEING CREATED OR AMENDED: Amends Article VI, Section 5(b)
FULL TEXT OF PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT:
SECTION 5. Primary, general, and special elections.— * * * * *
(b) Primary elections for congressional and state partisan elective office shall be conducted without regard for any political party affiliation of any voter or candidate. All registered voters may vote in such primary elections provided that the voter is otherwise qualified to vote in the election at issue. No qualified voter shall be denied the right to vote in any primary election conducted pursuant to this subsection based upon political party affiliation.
(1) All qualified candidates shall be listed on one primary ballot for each office at issue. Candidates nominated by a political party shall appear on the primary ballot with their party affiliation designated in accordance with law; all other candidates may have their political party preference designated upon the ballot in a manner consistent with law and distinguishable from a party’s nomination. Only the top two candidates receiving the most votes in the primary for each office shall, regardless of their party affiliation, advance to the general election. The top two candidates’ party affiliation or party preference designations on the primary ballot shall also apply to the general election ballot.
(2) Primaries conducted pursuant to this subsection shall not determine a political party’s nominee for office. Nothing in this subsection shall: (i) restrict the right of private association of political parties or of individuals to join or organize into political parties; or (ii) restrict the rights of political parties to nominate, endorse, support or oppose candidates for office, or to otherwise participate in elections.
The All Voters to Vote in Top Two Vote Getter Primary Elections petition to All Voters in Florida - All Voters,Inc. Petition #15-04 For the 2016 Florida Ballot was written by Florida Fair And Open Primaries and is in the category Politics at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: voter nominated, top two open primaries, primaries, elections, electorate