|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Oppose US Backed UNHRC Resolution on Sri Lanka
Petition Background (Preamble):
This resolution, is being brought up to address the alleged "war crimes" supposed to have occurred during the humanitarian mission to save innocent civilians from the terror of the inhumane terrorist organization calling itself the "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)".
1. Calls upon the Government of Sri Lanka to implement the constructive Recommendations made in the report of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission and to take all necessary additional steps to fulfil its relevant legal obligations and commitment to initiate credible and independent actions to ensure justice, equity, accountability and reconciliation for all Sri Lankans;
2. Requests the Government of Sri Lanka to present, as expeditiously as possible, a comprehensive action plan detailing the steps that the Government has taken and will take to implement the recommendations made in the Commission’s report, and also to address alleged violations of international law;
3. Encourages the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and relevant special procedures mandate holders to provide, and the Government of Sri Lanka to accept, advice and technical assistance on implementing the above-mentioned steps, and requests the Office of the High Commissioner to present a report on the provision of such assistance to the Human Rights Council at its twenty-second session.
The passing of this resolution will have the effect of;
1) Breaching Article 2(7) of the Charter of the United Nations which states "Nothing contained in the present Charter shall authorize the United Nations to intervene in matters which are essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of any state"
2)Completely jeopardizing the core concepts of International Law and breaching Article 2(1) of the Charter of the United Nations, which ensure the sovereign equality of all its Members, since no such resolution has been brought up against the US (sponsor of the current resolution) for allegations of Human Rights Violations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
3) Violating the sovereignty and integrity of Sri Lanka.
4) Hindering the effort of the Sri Lankan government in its reconciliation efforts to ensure equality among all races and the post war development process.
5) Taxing the resources of the United Nations since the government of Sri Lanka has already made substantial progress in implementing the recommendations of the LLRC report which makes it unnecessary for a process as recommended.
The Oppose US Backed UNHRC Resolution on Sri Lanka petition to UNHRC was written by Sri Lanka Youth Delegates and is in the category International Affairs at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: opposing, united, nations, human, rights, council, resolution, against, sri lanka, ltte, war, crimes, us, states, backed, united states, unhrc, llrc, lessons learnt and reconciliation