|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Send long term unemployed to rebuild disaster affected areas
Petition Background (Preamble):
As at December 2010 there were 155479 long term unemployed jobseekers in receipt of government benefits most of which are males residing in NSW followed closely by VIC. It’s a simplistic view to write these people off as “lazy”, “dole bludgers”, “unproductive citizens”. Perhaps in some cases this is true but for many it’s more complex than that, some have feelings of low self esteem and believe they have nothing to contribute.
Much compassion is needed for these people, most of us have experienced the lousy feelings of worthlessness stemming from periods of unemployment; it’s not something most of us would choose but after spending some time in that trapped feeling it can be hard to know how to break out. We at Hands and Hearts community assist program believe, like most Australians that everybody deserves a fair go which is why we have decided to launch this project to make use of the “spare hands” in the country and put them to work in areas of community that need rebuilding and other assistance, particularly government declared disaster zones. This project will be a challenge, particularly logistically which is why we will be looking into the possibilities of transport and accommodation sponsorship.
This project will be a challenge, particularly logistically which is why we will be looking into the possibilities of transport and accommodation sponsorship.
Benefits to the community will be:
- Faster rebuilding of homes and business, therefore boosting the local economy.
- More time for those affected to seek much needed emotional and psychological support and spend time with their families.
- A possible projected boost to the tourism of the areas with more interstate people being exposed to the fantastic holiday state.
- Less feeling of isolation with “outsiders” coming in to relieve and share some of the burdens of rebuilding.
Benefits to the jobseekers will be:
- A sense of being “needed” and “valuable” to others.
- An opportunity to learn new skills and utilise existing skills.
- Less feeling of isolation by becoming involved with other people in the community.
- Opportunity to travel, something many people in this position can’t afford. Travel has a the great effect of refreshing the mind and body and can inspire people to do it more ie. “the travel bug”. This will mean more drive to achieve financially for unemployed and boost tourism in areas dependent on it.
- The creation of friendships and opportunity to give to others. Giving service is a powerful way to overcome depressive feelings and boost self esteem.
We, the undersigned, call on the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations to implement the above suggested project.
The Send long term unemployed to rebuild disaster affected areas petition to Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations was written by Bianca Bastoni and is in the category Employment at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: job, unemployed, government, petition, community, disaster, australia, benefits, project, help.